Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by guts, Oct 15, 2011.

  1. guts

    guts

    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    16
    Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Well, once again I've found myself in a difficult situation. I got myself a decent position at a high end restaurant. Yeah, the pay sucks and the 14 hour days are brutal but the place is pretty actively involved in the culinary community, the food is all fresh and from scratch, and the kitchen is beautiful and brand new. Problem is, we just switched over to a new chef and things are changing pretty drastically. Timing has gone to hell and the food is getting simpler and safer. He wants to add more tables and increase the size of the menu, and somehow thinks we'll be able to work shorter hours? Anyways, these changes won't be taking place until then beginning of next month - and in the meantime my friend at a reputable restaurant has offered me a job. Shorter hours, better pay... The food is more classical/old school and the menu hasn't changed much in years. I think the place has sort of seen its day and settled into a comfortable position - so maybe less opportunity and a less active role in current community events. I'd like to check it out and wait for things to change next month at my current job before making the call - but the opening won't be around for much longer... Not sure what to do at this point.

    Sorry about the poor formatting of this post, I'm sending this from my cell.

    Oh, and I should probably mention my current job is way closer to home.
     
  2. chefedb

    chefedb

    Messages:
    5,516
    Likes Received:
    174
    Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Only you can and should decide for yourself. Sounds like older place more stable. More $ less hours? Its 6 of 1  1/2 doz. of another.