Deciding Between 4 Schools in Paris for Cuisine

Joined Aug 18, 2021
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for a bit, and I was wondering if you might have some intel on some schools I am thinking about. I have decided I want to do culinary school for cuisine. I am looking at schools in Paris because I love it here.

Currently, I am trying to decide between: Ducasse, Ferrandi, Escoffier, and Cordon Bleu.

I did a short boulangerie program at Ferrandi, and I loved it. I got to know the teachers and the traditional school environment. I learned I love hands-on learning. I did a less professional program at Escoffier. I didn't love it, but it wasn't a professional course, so it's hard for me to determine. I do know they have their administrative sh-- together.

I know nothing about Cordon Bleu in Paris other than I have heard that the quality and caliber might not be what it used to be. I've also heard that the Paris campus might be the exception to this criticism. Ducasse looks like a solid program in what they cover, but it's out in the 'burbs. I have heard good things about Ducasse in general, but nothing in detail.

I guess the short of it is: has anyone gone to any of these schools? What did you think and what was your experience? How were the teachers? If you haven't gone, what is the general sentiment and reputation?

Why am I doing this: Ultimately it is to gain credibility to write cookbooks, test recipes, do food writing and pursue some other entrepreneurial ideas. I already have a writing background, and I realize you don't *have* to go to culinary school, but it's a choice I'm making as a means to meeting my goal. I still want to do an internship of course! Yes, I know the kitchen is hard, but I'm into it!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The only advice I can offer is this: if you're intent on going to culinary school in France, learn the language and know how to read and write it, if you don't already. While the schools you've named teach their classes in both French and English, you will need to know the language for your dealings outside of school.
Also, if your only degree is a CA degree, that's not going to give you the level of "credibility" you're hoping for, especially when it comes to opening businesses etc. Commercial lenders will typically want to see something more solid than a CA degree, especially if you don't have much in the way of collateral to offer. If you're independently wealthy then, god bless you. Have at it! Live the dream. But, in case you're not, overestimating the value of a CA degree could prove to a very costly mistake at a point in your life where you simply can't afford such a mistake.

Good luck. :)

Top Bottom