December Cooking Challenge 2019 -- Cured Meats

Joined May 28, 2015
View attachment 67256

Just did this as a special this morning. I don't have pics of the process, but the cured item on here is Finocchiona, fennel infused salami from Tuscany. It is a play on eggs bene. Squashbrowns - Spaghetti squash, roasted fennel, garlic and parmesan, grilled and topped with Finocchiona, and egg over easy, a rosemary infused white bean hollandaise, and a roasted red pepper agro dolce. Garnished with green onions and a parmesan crisp.
I'd order that any day. Lovely!

Joined Nov 10, 2017
C ChefBryan where can I find your restaurant!! I only wish I could find some restaurants that are that creative and reasonably priced.
I actually work for a hospital. That's why everything is so affordable. We don't have to mark things up 3 or 4 times to cover food cost and labor. We do a 1 - 1.5x mark up. Food and labor are covered under budgets and not measured by %. We also get special pricing and don't pay tax, so that helps keep costs down. We are part of a large buying group. I compared my prices once to a local restaurant, and on many items I pay 1/2 or 1/3 of what they do.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I actually work for a hospital. That's why everything is so affordable. We don't have to mark things up 3 or 4 times to cover food cost and labor. We do a 1 - 1.5x mark up. Food and labor are covered under budgets and not measured by %. We also get special pricing and don't pay tax, so that helps keep costs down. We are part of a large buying group. I compared my prices once to a local restaurant, and on many items I pay 1/2 or 1/3 of what they do.
Well lucky patients. Here in France hospital food is not nearly as good or creative as airline food.

Joined May 28, 2015
I'm even more impressed that this sort of food is served in a hospital. Lucky patients!

Joined May 28, 2015
Any chance the featured threads could feature this December Challenge? The November Challenge for Thanksgiving is still being featured...

Joined Oct 9, 2008
And yes, to all the questions: cure your own or use someone else's product. Fish is included. Pretty much all charcuterie is what I had in mind, so yes, pâtés and terrines and galantines etc.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I had every ingredient I needed to make Ghicken Gumbo including Gaspar's Andouille and being a rainy day gumbo was the perfect dish.

Half way through a "two beer" roux

Everybody is in the pot just added my okra and letting it reduce

Served over some Basmati brown rice cooked in stock, garlic and parsley

Gaspar's is a little spicier than D'Artagnon and is a very good product IMO. The okra is frozen and the chicken was from a leftover spatchcocked from the other night. I rendered the skin in drippings for my roux and added some schmaltz to fill out the fat requirement + the saved pan fond from the chicken as well. What a flavor burst!!

Joined May 28, 2015
I had every ingredient I needed to make Ghicken Gumbo including Gaspar's Andouille and being a rainy day gumbo was the perfect dish.

Half way through a "two beer" roux

Everybody is in the pot just added my okra and letting it reduce

Served over some Basmati brown rice cooked in stock, garlic and parsley

Gaspar's is a little spicier than D'Artagnon and is a very good product IMO. The okra is frozen and the chicken was from a leftover spatchcocked from the other night. I rendered the skin in drippings for my roux and added some schmaltz to fill out the fat requirement + the saved pan fond from the chicken as well. What a flavor burst!!
Did you mean this to be in the challenge thread? As it happens I've been learning to cook Gumbo and have made three this month - seafood, chicken and gumbo z'herbes. I'd be happy to see a Gumbo thread but I'm not sure they qualify as cured meats, charcuterie etc.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I am posting an entry ;)

I used my bacon that was made a while ago. I found a piece in the freezer, took it out and let it sit (wrapped in tea towel) in the fridge for a bit to dry out somewhat.

This bacon was roughly based on the recipe here: https://honest-food.net/sichuan-bacon/
I cold smoked with beech in the proQ cold smoke generator (old pics)
05 proQ filled.jpg 08 bacon ready to be used.jpg

So, yesterday I decided to cook with it and to keep it more or less szechuan style (or however you want to spell it)

I used black beans (taotjo) and black bean paste, chili, garlic, leek, and glutinous black rice wine (no idea what that normally is used for, but I had a bottle. Think I thought it was shaoxing rice wine when I bought it). And I used my bacon, off course
01 black beans and black bean paste.jpg 03 leek-bacon-garlic-chili.jpg

Fried the bacon
04 frying bacon.jpg

Added the other ingredients, first the leek, then garlic and chili's, then the sauces
07 with black bean paste and chinese glutineous rice wine.jpg

And served with rice.
The rice is yellow, more for photographic purposes than anything else. I seem to be unable to make a picture with white rice that is not over-exposed.
10 served.jpg

It was definitely tasty!
I had a bit of left-over that I made into fried rice with a couple of fried eggs and that was tasty as well :)

Top Bottom