December Challenge: Cinnamon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by genemachine, Dec 1, 2013.

1. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We have focussed on the main ingrediants lately, so I would like to divert from  that a bit. Incorporate some cinnamon in your dishes. From Christmas cookies to savoury curries. Anything goes!

hossan yeht likes this.
  2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Luckily cinnamon plays a role in my daily life.  

3. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    GENE YOU READ MY MIND.

If i had won, the challenge was gonna be cinnamon XD , just because of Christmas XD. 

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I guess ill also kick off the challenge with once again providing the first dish. 

By far one of my favorite spices , is cinnamon , i love it so ill show off a dessert :p

Apple Tarte w/ home made Caramel and Cinnamon Ice cream

The apple tarte also has a hint of pastry cream and cinnamon inside as well...

I really need to get a better camera , cell pics are not my favorites XD

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    ghislaine likes this.
  5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Cinnamon ice cream sounds delightful. And the apple tart looks perfect.

6. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like how this starts. Keep it coming!

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This year i was challenged by a friend to replicate an Italian hot and spicy pepperoni jam, which i did after a couple of failures. The whole process is in Recipes here.

This jam is great with both, sweet and savory dishes. Here, for instance with a chocolate gâteau:

ghislaine likes this.
  8. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I love it what a great Christmas time challenge.

9. mise

mise

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Oh, nice. I dig the challenge. I am finally not working 90 HRs a week, hopefully I can put in a good showing this month. I hope people try to push some savory food with this one. 

10. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Ordo: Yup. That's what I have been aiming for with this challenge! Nice one!

@Mise: I have some Sichuanese and Hunanese stuff at hand - there shall be no lack of savoury cinnamon dishes! Ordo made a great start in this regard, thoudgh :)

11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Mexican Hot Chocolate, which is accented with cinnamon. In my case, it's more of a product than a dish or a recipe, but I like it. 

Procure your Chocolate pucks. Ibarra is well regarded on the internet and is often a bit cheaper. I've been using Abuelita (a Nestle product) because I can get a very good deal on it. I've also seen some Caseco but haven't heard much about it. It's a little more money than the common Ibarra or Abuelita brands. If you want to go more upscale, Taza has some interesting varieties, but I've not tried them out yet either. I've got a few stashed away to give as gifts though. 

1 puck of cinnamon scented chocolate glory. 

Mexican chocolate is stone ground and tends to have a coarseness/grittiness even when melted. Plus the grittiness from the canela (cinnamon). Unwrap it. The puck is divided to make smaller batches easy. Some people also use it in baking brownies or when a baking chocolate is called for. 

The instructions say to mix 1 puck/1 quart of milk. I think that yields chocolate that is a little weak, even doctored up with extra cocoa and such. I like the strength better at 1 puck/3 cups of milk and it needs no extra tweaks at that point. 

So 6 cups of milk, 2 pucks of Abuelita in the pot on high. Bring it to a boil, stirring frequently. As the milk foams up, shut off the heat and blend with an immersion blender to smooth out the grit. 

Ah, nice and foamy and much smoother. 

Ready for the mug or the insulated sipping thermos and sharing with family and friends. So good. 

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Plan on doing a roast chicken for dinner, guess it would be a good time to make a savory side dish involving cinnamon.  Hmm...

mjb.

13. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This is such a great food topic for the challenge and works out perfectly. Here is what I just made.

Pheasant Sausage with Clove, Cinnamon, Cranberries and Dried Apricots. One of the best sausages I have made

ghislaine likes this.
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Every spring here in Salt Lake City we have the "Living Traditions" festival.  It is an event that showcases the diverse ethnic backgrounds of people here in the valley.  It goes for three days, features some amazing crafts handed down for generations, quite an array of both local and national musical talents, and of course, food.  Lots of food.  Basque, Swiss, Peruvian, Thai, Chinese, quite the delectable assortment.  I always eat too much.

One of my favorites for the last few years has been a booth run by some Sudanese refugees.  They offer a very nice chicken and potato stew and a dish I really like with spinach, onion and couscous.  Mine never tastes quite exactly like it, but is really close.  Quite a simple dish, made some to go with tonight's dinner, slow roasted chicken:

The players:

Fresh spinach, Israeli couscous, onion, cumin and cinnamon.

The Process:

Bring some water to a boil, off the heat, steep the couscous for about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile sweat the onion in a large skillet.  I rendered out a couple slices of salt pork for the fat, added the spices after a minute or two:

This smells SO good.  Especially with the lemon rosemary chicken going in the oven.  Once the onions are soft, drain the couscous, throw it in the skillet and toast it bit.  Then start adding the spinach:

On a side note, I could use a big 6 burner stove.  Wish I had a kitchen big enough to hold one:

But I managed to get it all done.  Stir the spinach frequently, add a few tablespoons of broth to help steam it.

The Product:

Very, very good.  Had it been just me, I would have put some diced chili in with the onions at the beginning, as is I just put a splash or two of hot sauce on my spinach.  Karen had hers without extra heat, the cinnamon level was just right for her, the cumin provided a nice counterpoint.

Simple, easy and well worth it!

mjb.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  15. alacarte

alacarte

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Brandy and cinnamon Brulees :) pics when they set 

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  16. ghislaine

ghislaine

Exp:
    At home cook
    that's beautiful.

17. smoothjimmy

smoothjimmy

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Main course:
    Moroccan lamb tagine served with cous cous and a favourite Pinot noir. Recipe can be found here - http://rouxbe.com/recipes/52-moroccan-lamb-tagine/text

Followed by dessert:
    Apricots poached in cinnamon and orange syrup, served with vanilla ice cream and a caramel made with the poaching liquid. Inspiration taken from Niki Segnit's 'Flavour Thesaurus' in which pairing cinnamon and apricots is recommended!

ghislaine likes this.
  18. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Very nice SmoothJ.

I braised a cut of roastbeef with added sachet of cinnamon and roasted potatoes.

ghislaine likes this.
  19. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Since living in the southwest, my cooking has widened and grown with the influence of the hispanic and native american cultures that surround me. Cinnamon is a large part of those cooking cultures though probably more so in hispanic cooking. I use cinnamon almost as frequently as i use salt and pepper....in chiles, soups, vegetables, green chile pork chowder, chiles rellenos, beans, pickled vegetables(escabeche), almost any and all sautéed or roasted vegetables especially the hard squashes,marinades, marinara, desserts, curries, rubs,breads, pancake and french toast batter, condiments, desserts and hot toddies just to name a few!
    I think a few hot toddies are in order to start the celebration of this holiday season....mulled wine, hot apple cider, chai....and of course some sort of spiced rum hot toddy.....cheers!
    Sorry that i can not 'show and tell' this challenge. I am away from my home kitchen for the winter so space and equipment is hugely limited.

joey

20. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think it was Bon Appetit that posted on Facebook a couple of weeks ago a recipe for a bourbon/honey hot toddy served with strips of lemon peel and a cinnamon stick. It almost made me wish for colder weather than we've been having. Almost.