December 2020 Challenge - Let's make SOUP

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I don't remember when or why I started using chicken feet in my stock, but I am so glad I did. It makes them so much richer and gelatinous. As do pigs feet in pork stock.

And if things go as planned, clams will be in my next soup entry here.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
As I said, clams. I saw this when I was looking into miso soups for the soy product challenge, didn't get around to it. Thought it would also work in the one pot challenge, again it didn't happen. But for the soup challenge, I made sure to get it done.

The Players

20201228_080509.jpg

We're looking at kombu, dried anchovies, littleneck clams and white miso. To make asari miso soup one should use asari clams, called manilla in the US of A, but I couldn't find any the last couple of days, used what I could find.

The Process

First off, a chunk of the kombu is wiped clean and left to soak in water overnight. Then when getting ready to make the soup about a quarter/third of a cup of the dried anchovies went into the pot as the basis for the iriko dashi.

20201228_080701.jpg

They soaked for about an hour. Then the pot went on medium heat, brought almost to a boil. Kombu was fished out, the dried fish were simmered for about 20 - 25 minutes. You could certainly smell the ocean in the kitchen.

The dashi was strained into another pot, the anchovies tossed. Meanwhile the clams were undergoing a de-sanding process, getting soaked in salt water, drained and rinsed, getting soaked, etc.

20201228_081035.jpg

So the clams are clean. the dashi is strained, time to get it all in the pot.

20201228_133949.jpg

Simmered for 5 - 6 minutes, fishing out the clams as they opened up. Had two that did not cooperate, so it goes.

Once the clams were all out and the broth skimmed I added about a quarter cup mirin and a half cup of dry sake. Brought that up to a simmer. I put about three tablespoons of the white miso in a bowl, scooped out about half a cup of the broth to cover. Gave it a good stir.

20201228_135645.jpg

Put some of the clams into a bowl, ladled in enough broth to mostly cover. Garnished with some chopped cilantro and a few shakes of togarashi.

The Product

It was good. A nice briny, ocean beach freshness to it.

20201228_140120.jpg

Good stuff!

mjb.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Is it just me or do you ever have an idea in your head about what you want to make and then try searching up a recipe to match it? Here's kind of a Moroccan Red Lentil Chicken Soup with Preserved Lemon.

IMG_1264.JPG IMG_1260 2.JPG

First some Ras El Hanout and some aromatics which I bloomed and softened.

IMG_1287.JPG

Then some turkey stock in which I poached the chicken and cooked the lentils. I shredded the chicken and added the chopped preserved lemons near the end.

IMG_1298 2 (1).jpg

Finished with some parsley.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Not many pictures, will forego my usual format. Last year after Thanksgiving I made this mushroom and wild rice turkey soup, I made it before I went to work. While at work my wife texted me a note that said she really liked it. She must have REALLY liked it, when I got home from work there was none left!

So turkey soup needs turkey and broth.

20201230_053018.jpg

I did the turkey stock using the carcass of the one I did for Thanksgiving and the one I did for Christmas, as well as some extra parts.

20201230_051553.jpg

And of course the wild rice and mushrooms.

Prep was pretty easy, just clean and slice the mushrooms, fine dice on the shallot. Shrooms go in the pot with a big knob of butter and a couple pinches of salt. Once they get a bit of browning on them the shallot goes in.

20201230_053526.jpg

Once the shallots are softened put in the wild rice and the turkey stock, maybe a teaspoon or two of poultry seasoning. Simmered until the rice was done, about 35 minutes. Added some more salt and pepper. The diced turkey goes in the pot to heat, maybe 5 - 6 minutes.

20201230_075549.jpg

Not a very photogenic soup, but it is quite tasty.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
On a side note, I did the turkey stock a few days ago, stashed it in the garage fridge. When I went out to get it this morning, I tripped on something and did a face plant on the driveway. Not fun.

20201230_024527.jpg

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
teamfat teamfat I hope you are ok that looks pretty bad. Did you have to take a trip to the ER?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
teamfat teamfat no matter if you did get blood in your soup you would of had a natural thickener and saved a step Ha Ha!

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Today is the last day of the Challenge as we bring 2020 to a close. I for one am glad to see it go.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I was hoping to get one more made, a Chinese velvet chicken soup. At the moment it seems that is not going to happen. And it would involve another trip to the garage fridge to get the chicken and pork stock I made the other day. And after my last trip out there...

mjb.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Two more

Mushroom barley. The normal stuff - browned some mushrooms, caramelized onions, chicken stock, barley. The fun stuff - kitchen bouquet for color, miso for extra umami, goat cheese for creaminess

20201227_183818.jpg

And final soup of the year- 1 hour pho bowl. Like 1 hour photo get it?!

Pressure cooked in an instant pot but toasted the spices and charred onion and ginger with a blow torch first. While its cooking boil the noodles, cut garnishes and things.

20201229_160834.jpg
20201229_183347.jpg

Joined Dec 1, 2020
Thank you for the soup recipes and ideas! I will cook many of these soups. Our nightly at-home-dinner for the past 6 months is: "Soup with 3 Sides". We love it. Soup with 3 sides is a typical home-cooked-meal in Japan, I've read. Is this true? IDK (!), but we are enjoying the combination.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I made parole Rojo last night. Almost forgot to post it.

I started with white pazole that I soaked overnight. I got a 4 pound piece of pork shoulder and used about half of it. The half with the bone of course. I think I'll use the rest for carnitas next week :). And some dried peppers.

IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1312.JPG

I cooked the pork in white onion and garlic and simmered the pazole and peppers in water.

IMG_1318.JPG

I blended the cooked peppers with onion and garlic and some of the cooking water. I ran into a bit of trouble.

IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1330.JPG

I also fried some corn tortillas.

IMG_1346.JPG

I mixed it all up, seasoned with Mexican oregano and salt and pepper, brought it to a simmer, turned off the heat, and left it to fester for a couple hours until we were ready to eat.

tempImage0Cu9vB.png

Joined Jul 15, 2020
I hope a "stew" counts as a soup, because tonight for New Year's Eve, I went old school and made my wife and I the Troisgros Brothers' Lobster Navarin:
PXL_20210101_062055274.jpg
PXL_20210101_062103799.jpg
First, I blanched the vegetables (carrots, turnips, and potatoes green beans, and peas) individually in salted water and then shocked them in an ice bath to preserve their colour and stop cooking. With my mise ready, I proceeding to the lobsters...

I put the pinchies out of their misery by chilling them in the fridge and then splitting their heads a la Julia Child. I broke down the carcasses into tails, claws, and body halves. I cleaned out the tamale and innards.

Then I seared the pieces in butter in the bottom of my Dutch oven. Then I added a mirepoix of carrots and shallots and moistened same with cognac. Once the cognac evaporated, I added some white wine, fish stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, and last a bouquet garni. I simmered same for a while, turning and basting the lobster pieces.

I removed the lobster pieces, putting the tails and claws aside for later. Then I chopped and smashed the body and shells and added them back to the pot and continued simmering. I strained the liquid through a coarse China cap using a wooden spoon to squeeze out every last drop of liquid, then I strained again through a fine chinois back into a clean pot, where I warmed the liquid again. I added some creme fraiche and butter to thicken the liquid. I seasoned the liquid to taste and then added the root vegetables to warm through.

Then I shelled the tail and claw meat using kitchen shears and the heel of my beater Sab chef knife. I sliced the tail meat into medallions.

Then I warmed the peas and beans in boiling water and assembled all in warmed bowls.

Served with a bottle of Ruinart Blanc de Blanc Champagne.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody - it's nice and sunny and cold here this morning and I hope y'all are none the worse for wear and tear. Lots of great entries for the last challenge of 2020, but one player stood out with feet(s) of soup and really went the extra step so to speak. Your host for January 2021 is teamfat teamfat - congratulations sir!

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Well deserved!
I didn't participate as much as I wanted. Will try and make up for that this January;)

Top Bottom