December 2020 Challenge - Let's make SOUP

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It's been 5 years since we've had a soup challenge maybe with Thanksgiving being behind us + leftovers clogging up the icebox . . . That said we had a couple of entries last month that looked really good. I like soup, I remember lentil soup in Greektown whose broth seemed thinner than water. I remember other ethnic soups whose broths seemed almost chewy and unctuous. I remember the waiters at Ratner's bringing an empty bowl with a cup of cabbage soup in it so he could pour the contents into the bowl so no one felt "slighted". Whatever, so long as it looks good and we can taste it in spirit. May the best dish win and here is the usual blah, blah, blah . . . (just in case newbies don't understand "the standard rules")

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Good choice! I like soup. Everybody likes soup. Well, there might be some mentally disturbed nut cases out there that don't like soup, chances are they aren't on ChefTalk. I think I know what my first entry will be. And my second.

mjb.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I might be that “mentally disturbed nutcase” who doesn’t like soup. Soup’s okay but...

perhaps it the way my Grandpa referred to it - bellywash - that turns me off. Or it could be my Mom’s version of pea soup that could double as plaster or wallpaper paste. Who knows. But memory of my grandma’s fish chowder Makes my mouth salivate like Pavlov’s puppy.

enjoy the challenge; I’ll watch from the sideline. :)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
But memory of my grandma’s fish chowder Makes my mouth salivate like Pavlov’s puppy. :)

Well there ya go - "chowdah" is made in a pot and served in a bowl - 'nough said - just sayin'. Get off the side line and get on the scrimmage line.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I would think that chowder is quite acceptable, as would be bisques, ramen and pho.

Are there any cultures that do not include soup in their cuisine?

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I made 40hr. turkey bone broth the other day and it's delicious. I gave 2qts. to my DIL, I made a pot of soup today for tomorrow and only added the meat tonight when it cooled. Tomorrow I'll cook wide noodles in another pot to add to the bowls (like ramen) so they don't fall apart. I'll give half of that soup to my DIL's parents since her mom can't cook anymore and I'll have a quart left over. Not too shabby for a 10lb. bird that fed 10 people . . .

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Wow I had no idea turkey bones were ever cooked that long. I know what I’m doing next year! I did get a very nice gelatinous stock from our bird, and I used some here.

The base is butternut squash, leeks, garlic, celery and a bundle of thyme boiled in stock for about 45 minutes and the run through the blender. Then I add cooked thick bacon pieces, collard greens, carrots and beans, simmer until done and finish it with corn.

EE3C639F-13A7-402F-8E35-E0464208518E.jpeg 76E8091B-7CDD-4144-BDFB-584863F7F139.jpeg

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I made bun bo hue in the instant pot. It's a good idea because shank is a pretty tough cut. It's a beef noodle soup. It's a thicker rice noodle but round not flat like pho. Sometimes I like udon in this. Theres bones, shank, a lot of lemongrass, onion, chili, shrimp paste, fish sauce, annato oil. For garnish fried tofu, fried shallots, curly scallions (ice bath), the shank sliced up, beansprouts, more chili, a lime wedge

20201208_145835.jpg 20201208_165907.jpg
20201208_171559.jpg
20201208_172629.jpg

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've only tried bun bo hue once. it was good tasting but more fire than really enjoy. I was raised wrong but you all knew that already.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
The 10th of the month already, I thought more folks might be jumping right in on this challenge. I tried a different take on a soup I've made many time, Chinese egg flower or egg drop soup. This is an Italian version, stracciatella, which translates into something like shredded rags.

The Players

Pretty simple soup, in truth. Depends somewhat on the stock or broth used. Store bought box or can versus many hour home made. For this I used some very gelatinous brown chicken stock that took many hours of steeping on the stove.

20201209_115002.jpg

Also a couple of eggs, some very nice parm reggie and a couple of the spicy Harmon's Italian.

First off the sausage pulled from the casing, browned in the pot with a splash of olive oil. Next time I think a minced shallot would be a nice addition.

20201209_115715.jpg

Mostly done, time to add in the stock and some chopped basil, fresh from the sorry looking plant on the back porch window sill. It needs a bit of pruning and attention. Added a good splash of dry vermouth at this point.

20201209_120123.jpg

Some issues with the photo, none with the soup, trust me.

Meanwhile...

20201209_120943.jpg

Grated some of the cheese, and scrambled the eggs. The cheese gets stirred into the eggs, the mixture then slowly poured into the soup.

20201209_122750.jpg

Looks pretty strange. Added some salt and black pepper, thought about more basil or oregano, but passed on the herbs. The seasonings from the sausage seemed to be spot on.

The Product

20201209_124017.jpg

Bowl of soup, a glass of red, a cardboard tube dinner roll and I'm a happy camper.

mjb.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I might be that “mentally disturbed nutcase” who doesn’t like soup. Soup’s okay but...

perhaps it the way my Grandpa referred to it - bellywash - that turns me off. Or it could be my Mom’s version of pea soup that could double as plaster or wallpaper paste. Who knows. But memory of my grandma’s fish chowder Makes my mouth salivate like Pavlov’s puppy.

enjoy the challenge; I’ll watch from the sideline. :)

I grew up not liking soup. My mom was a very good cook but also limited with her cuisine. The only types of soup she ever made were chicken avgolemono, beef and tomato soup with pastina, and lentil soup, that's all I ever had growing up and frankly didn't like them at all. I've now learned ways to make those soups in a way that I enjoy them and have added many more soups to my repertoire. We have to get you in on this one @brianshaw , it's the whole point of the challenge.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
"Or it could be my Mom’s version of pea soup that could double as plaster or wallpaper paste. Who knows. But memory of my grandma’s fish chowder Makes my mouth salivate like Pavlov’s puppy."

Ditto on the pea soup. Still can't stomach the stuff to this day.

Okay, change of plans. I'm going to do a fish chowdah next. Any helpful hints, @brianshaw ? All fin fish, or clams, crab, shrimp involved?

mjb.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I like pea soup if it's not "stick to your ribs" thick. Soup ought to to be eaten with a spoon and not a fork.

Latest posts

Top Bottom