dealcoholized wine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ihab, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ihab

ihab

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello all

New here and was hoping to get some help and advice.

Has anyone tried cooking with dealcoholized wine? I just recently learned of it, and apparently it is wine that is processed to reduce the amount of alcohol to where it is negligible(naturally occurring).

Does the alcohol in and of itself add to the flavor or the cooking of the dish? I am sure it will depend on how and what I am using the wine for, but is alcohol a major part? Or would the wine as a whole be the important part which in turn would make the alcohol still important?

I ask because many in my family don't eat food cooked in any type of alcohol due to their beliefs, regardless if the amount used or leftover after cooking is negligible.

Thanks
    Ihab

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Funny you should ask - I was busy reading this:

To react with the taste cells, any taste molecule, or "tastant," must be dissolved, which is the reason saliva was invented. That's why, when you swallow a pill – however bitter – you won't taste it if you get it down before it starts to dissolve. It's also why so many nasty tasting pills are encased in a coating that's hard to dissolve. Some tastants dissolve best in water; others are fat-soluble. Still others dissolve in alcohol, which incidentally also dissolves the water- and fat-soluble molecules as well. This is part of the reason why a little alcohol in a dish can make such a big difference to its taste.

Source: Taste & Texture, Part One - eG Forums

3. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    In most classical cookery, you do not want the alcohol you only want the flavor of what wine it is. You reduce it until alcohol is out. They do sell wine and other xtracts that contain little or no alcohol but they do go rancid, as alcohol is in fact a preservative. You can reduce your wines before adding to a dish and cook out 98% of the alcohol out then use.

4. ihab

ihab

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for the input. Do you mean that the wine may be rancid when I buy it, or it will go rancid quickly after opening it or during cooking?

Thanks

5. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    If bad when you buy it, bring it back. When you cook alcohol out you are taking out the preservative so use right away don't store it.