Day Trip?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cape chef, Feb 18, 2004.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If my consulting bids get picked up I'll be ready for a trip to either coast or both in april...prior to the craziness of farmer market season. Love to play with you guys. Is it true that the sushi restaurant in Time bldg is $500 pp? You know I have a pretty high dining threshold but that hit the wall...what could you get that would be that splendiforus?

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hmmmm . . . as long as it's not the 3rd week in April (21 to 25: IACP conference in Baltimore) . . . hmmm . . . ya know, we just might be able to work something out! Especially if Shroom is here (just please wear comfortable shoes this time, okay? ;) :D )

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sure, but I'm still not into the black clothing thing....to hip.
    you should have seen me shop Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market just before getting back on the plane home...my dad said I was like a kid in a candy shop....beets, dandilion greens, parsnips, yellow turnips, white carrots (not impressed and they are not parsnips), new olive oil, dried satsumas, chocolates from Happy Apple, breads from all over....oh man my market basket heepith...and it broke the gloomy mucky snowy bleck of STL. Beware of the farmer market shopper...supporting local producers of wonderous products.
    I just read an interesting article about food writing in the US and how publications are finally researching and writing actual local shtuff....kinda cool.
    So, anything new and exciting happening in the food world of NYC that is not Time Warner related? I still have not been to the chocolate place under the brooklyn bridge.
    Marc Felix is teaching kids at the plaza...I'd love to sit in on one of his classes.

5. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, Charlie Trotter spoke a good bit last week about the new restaurants going into the building. Sounds amazing. Barring any catastrophes, I'll be there.

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Of course I'll be there! :bounce:

7. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That I believe would be Jacques Torres "Mr. Chocolate", a place I would like to go to! He'll be here in town on 3/7 but I don't think he's bringing me anything:cry:

8. tigerwoman

tigerwoman

the Time Warner location is NYC's second whole Foods Market but the only place in NYC where you can get a Jamba Juice...

So instead of spending $600 for a Per Se meal you can spend $6 for a liquid meal... :D

Just got back from a trip to Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino - talk about good pickings...

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    So are we spouting huge dinner prices off the cuff ? What are the actual prices coming out in print for a prix fix e tasting menu? From the various restaurants?
    I could see food tours throughout the NY area featuring chocolate, breads and of course Farmer's markets....you know I love my profession!!!
    I just got back from CA also....we might have crossed paths....Funny a couple of friends from STL were at the CIA and SF during the same time I was there.

10. thebighat

thebighat

Well, I don't know if anybody saw it, but there was a fire at Per Se that sets them back two or three weeks. 13,000 sq ft for 64 customers? Just how big is that?

11. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    HUMONGOUS! ! ! !

I'm thinking more just a sightseeing trip, and lunch or dinner elsewhere.

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    April 16-20ish is open !!! I got the consulting gig, it was not the monstor bid but good enough to travel to a coast and see you guys. Anyone up for touring Time Warner, tromping through the market, visiting Jacque Torres and making ressies at someplace interesting? I haven't check out the James Beard calendar but they many times have someone interesting cooking...best deal going in NYC..