Dave Lieberman-The Frugal Cutie

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kerryclan, Apr 16, 2005.

1. kerryclan

kerryclan

Watched this new TVFN show with private chef Dave Lieberman. He looks great, and has real, honest persona. What a cute hunk o' chef! :p

Oh, yeah, he made some food too. Recipes are in line with TVFN's "do-able for the home cook" genre, but there was no cool-whip or fruit cups involved, so one can actually learn decent food and technique from this show. He did mix up a pastry cream using boxed pudding, but at least he cooked it (could have added some more flavoring, me thinks) and this I find a little unacceptable, but, oh,well, the rest was fine.

I didn't really get the "frugal" or "economic" angle, though. Having a choice of expensive apricot preserves or cheaper ones, he took the cheaper ones. So? And bought a cut up chicken rather than whole so he doesn't pay for the back and wing tips. I dunno, it's been my experience that cut up is usually much more expensive than whole and I always find use for the extra parts and schmaltz. But Dave is so appealing, who cares? :D

Did anyone one else catch this show? What do you think?

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I caught part of it until life intervened. I saw the boxed pudding too, but it seemed more, uh, seemly than instant. The rest was fresh food, really. I saw in Time magazine that he's one of the "Time 100"- people on the cutting edge. It was a very complimentary article.

I'm going to watch this guy. He has some culinary training and seems pretty smart. We oldies (over 50!) should watch with the understanding that he's more than one generation behind us.

3. kerryclan

kerryclan

Oh, Mezz! Did you have to point out that he's a genration behind me? :cry:
    I still think he's a cutie, but now I have to admit to myself that he'd be better for my daughter! :( :D

Anyway, I'll continue to watch this show too. He'll probably throw in some of that cutting edge stuff, I hope.

4. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

HEHE

Ok, ladies, all I have to say is, never fear, just say the magic words "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Coo coo ca-choo[/font]" :D

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Kerryclan, I'm easily old enough to be his mother. :D

6. kerryclan

kerryclan

I tried Dave's cauliflower recipe and it was delish. Easy, fast, and came out great. If anyone's interested, his website is linked below. Real classy lookin' with recipes, forums, blog, etc.

http://www.davecooks.net/