Dark-colored stock

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Lately I've been finding that some of my stocks are coming out rather dark-colored. I've read that this can be caused by certain vegetables -- carrots, for example, apparently make stock markedly darker. Anyone know of others? I don't really care, most of the time, but every now and again I want a really pale amber-colored stock, and it'd be helpful to know what to avoid for that result.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
link to similar thread

Joined May 5, 2010
Onion skins darken stock. Also carrots will darken stock if allowed to simmer longer than say 2 1/2 hours.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Lately I've been finding that some of my stocks are coming out rather dark-colored. I've read that this can be caused by certain vegetables -- carrots, for example, apparently make stock markedly darker. Anyone know of others? I don't really care, most of the time, but every now and again I want a really pale amber-colored stock, and it'd be helpful to know what to avoid for that result.
While there are many factors that can be used to intentionally make a stock darker, are you saying that you are preparing stock the same way as you always had for light stocks and they are now coming out dark for some unknown reason? I would be more concerned if this were the case rather than you changing what you are doing and getting a different product.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I've made chicken stock by boiling leftover raw chicken parts. We used to call it 'Sleazy Chicken Stock' since it was just boiling chicken bones, no vegetables. It came out very light, as you are talking about wanting as a finished product.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Some more details in terms of your method would be helpful. Without knowing the details of your process, we can't give you an accurate answer.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
As to process, for regular stock I put bones and vegetables in a pressure cooker and run it for an hour or so. The ingredients are generally whatever trimmings I've saved up, frozen in a Ziploc bag. The main things I'm wondering about, as far as color is concerned, are carrots, onion skins, and mushroom stems.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
As to process, for regular stock I put bones and vegetables in a pressure cooker and run it for an hour or so. The ingredients are generally whatever trimmings I've saved up, frozen in a Ziploc bag. The main things I'm wondering about, as far as color is concerned, are carrots, onion skins, and mushroom stems.
Yes, all three of those items will add color to a stock. Variances will depend on quantity, length of simmering and roasting/not roasting the vegetables.

If you want a lighter stock I would suggest a "white mire poix" or substitute some of the aromatics for a bouquet garni.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
There's also the green parts of leeks, if you're using any that is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom