Dan Dan Noodles

Joined Apr 5, 2007
I have recently got pretty obsessed with Dan Dan noodles.  Unsurprisingly, online resources are all over the map with recipes/techniques involved.  Anybody here have have any tips, 'essentials", or thoughts on this dish in general?  Thanks in advance!

Joined Mar 19, 2009

And no, you can't skip preserved vegetable (zhai cai / 榨菜) or mean kiwi will check on you too.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 5, 2007
Thanks Ordo.  Nice vid.  The basic elements of Dan Dan seem pretty consistent (except for a whackadoo Alton Brown...thing) but what people feel is "key" varies pretty wildly.  Time to play I guess...

Also, I think Mean Kiwi is quickly becoming the most over figure on the boards!  Waiting for her/his podcast in 2016! 

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Yes, very popular dish. Good to see it made with the toasted sesame paste instead of peanut butter. 

Personally, I've not found the dish compelling, More heat that I enjoy in the ones I've tried and the other flavors seem kind of muddled. 

But if you find a clearly superior version, i'll be glad to give it a go again. 

Joined Apr 5, 2007
the version that really caught my attention featured a really intensely roasted flavoured sauce/paste that top garnished the noodles (that were in a really thin, more aromatic broth).  Almost reminded me of the "double dip" style of ramen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom