Cutting Corners

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Kobe beef is Wagyu (the breed of steer) that is raised in Kobe, Japan. The cows are massaged, fed beer, listen to mozart, and apparently, are hung on a giant canvas harness to sleep. They have an extraordinarily high intramuscular fat to meat ratio - and less connective tissue (collogen and Elastin) than normal cows. Wagyu breed beef has a naturally, through breeding, ratio of fat to meat. They raise wagyu beef in many countries, Australia, Japan, US, and more. It is still fantastic beef. Similar to USDA Prime, Choice, and Select, American Wagyu beef is classified into different categories of intramuscular fat. The more the better. I have had Australian Wagyu at the French laundry. It was an $80 supplement for 2 2oz slices of NY Strip. It is beyond amazing. You can read more about it if you look up a butcher shop called Lobel's. It is the priciest butcher in NYC, but they have a lot to say about this special beef.

Joined Nov 26, 2007
I would be truly shocked if anyone who advertises kobe or even wagyu burgers actually uses ground wagyu. It is a dishonest marketing ploy, and in my opinion, any putz who does not realize that a) deserves what they get (a good burger made with beef with extra beef fat ground into it) or b) does not care because they are probably ordering it to show off to someone else at the table.

Joined Nov 26, 2007
It is so not worth it to bring these steaks home to cook, or any USDA prime beef for that matter because only a broiler which tops 1200 degrees can possibly do justice to this meat. Your home stove just won't cut it.

Joined Nov 19, 2007
I have seen it at a lot of places, though normally it is not as bad as the Foie or duck things. People saying they are using Meyers when they are Sunkist or Telicherry when it is just plain old pepper. Most of the time it is relatively harmless, though I don't recommend it. Switching duck with turkey is outright fraud though. It would literally be like selling someone a cubic zirconia and telling them it is a natural diamond. If it isn't already, it should be against the law everywhere.

Joined Dec 8, 2003
its something that happens in this buisness

I think some happens because of marketing ploys

chilean sea bass isnt a bass

most sushi restaurants use tilapia instead of snapper

but its a matter of ethics if your misleading the customers

Some Italian restaurants use pork tenderloin instead of veal

I think Angus is another big one, yea alot of cows are black angus

but only the top 6% are certified black angus

I heard they were coming out with something that if you advertise organic

on your menu it has to be certified organic or you can be fined

I laughed when I saw a Chili's commercial they were advertising a triple prime burger with tenderloin, sirloin, and prime rib.

of course there is going to be scraps from prime graded beef and all cuts,

but for someone to think its justified to pay extra for that burger fell for that marketing ploy

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Also, and this is one of my favorites...Sushi restaurants sell what they call "White Tuna." It is, of course, not tuna, but escolar fish. How do you explain to customers that this wonderfully buttery fish has the same fatty compounds as Olestra and thus can cause abdominal cramping and "anal leakage" as was put on bags of olestra potato chips.

dmt

Joined Jul 28, 2006
When they start advertising "Free Range Feline", well, that's where I draw the line... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom