Cutco "spatula spreader" alternative

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by seanw, Apr 25, 2014.

1. seanw

seanw

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi guys,

Are there any alternatives to the cutco spatula knife? I don't need anything fancy, in fact less expensive would probably be better. I am not a tremendous fan of cutco, but my wife has a hankering for one of those knives.

If it matters, I just got an edgepro system and am working on learning how to use it. This knife will be a lesser used accessory to the other knives we have, so inexpensive but decent quality (victorinox, maybe?) is the goal.

Thanks,
    Sean

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using SCIENCE

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You better post a picture of what you mean, because I can't figure out what you're talking about. Even with some googling, I failed to find a knife of the description you used.

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hmm, I'm failing to feel the love for it. It's not long enough for good sandwich duty as depicted  And you can't re sharpen the Double-D serrations. 

Would even do cake serving pretty well I think. 

They also have a blunt tipped serrated steak knife that would be a good bagel knife I think.  

5. dhmcardoso

dhmcardoso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Oh man... the Cutco thread nightmare again.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif  

Victorinox is better, much better.. or even that Kuhn Rikon (I think that is how to spell it), sold at sur la table and crate&barrel, cheaper and better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. fritz mackrieg

fritz mackrieg

Exp:
    Home Chef
    How about a putty knife? Seems to fit the same niche ;)

In seriousness, though, F. Dick's is better and cheaper. Not that I'd be caught dead with anything like that, haha: http://www.lionsdeal.com/fd-8501611.html

7. seanw

seanw

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yep, that's it. The wife would like something like that, but paying for cutco just seems stupid.

I did find this one:

which is a wusthof and less than half the price, albeit their lower end line, so that'll probably be where I go, though the f. dick one might be an option as well.

I know there's a number of other tools that can be used for the same tasks and much more, and we have them (including a spreader with no edge), but my wife specifically mentioned as a thing that she would like. I'm willing to spend 15 bucks for a goofy stocking stuffer (or whatever the not-christmas equivalent is).

Cutco knives are pretty much overpriced junk, so I was trying to find something at least not overpriced, that filled the same specific niche. 

Thanks for the links to the other potentials.