CUTCO Petite Chef

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by littleladychef, Aug 4, 2011.

1. littleladychef

littleladychef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Someone talked me into buying a CUTCO Petite Chef tested and recommended by members of the Cooking Club of America. It works great, The handle grips well because of the wedge-lock design. This knife is better than these professional chef knives I've used in the past like one made by Slitzer. For a little over a hundred dollars, CUTCO Petite Chef is worth the investment with forever sharpness and performance guarantee. CUTCO makes pastry spatulas, ice cream scoops, shears that can cut pennies and trimming knife that cuts paper-thin slices of tomatoes. 

2. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    Always wanted to be able to cut corners and pennies/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cutco is not quite mediocre, but sold at very high prices.  Cutco's advertising is extremely misleading without quite crossing the line into "false."  Take for example, how they brag about the miraculous properties of their blade alloy -- which is actually very low end.  They have a very few good points -- made in America, free lifetime sharpening, comfortable (for some hands) handles -- but considering the low overall quality and high tariff, those points aren't nearly good enough. 

Cutco probably is better than Slitzer.  But that's not saying much.  Slitzer is in no way "pro."  It's one of those companies marketing 20 pieces for $25 on ebay and Amazon.  You'd have to look hard to buy worse.   

Don't buy either. 

BDL

4. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Come on now BDL. I sold Cutco stuff for over a year. You can't say that after I cut a nickel up for you, and then shave paper and food items using just the weight of the knife that it's completely garbage. LOL. I bought my first car, with my own money ($600), a '74 Ford Maverick, with what I made selling the stuff. If I would give Cutco stuff a particular quality, it would be that you can't hurt it. Any stupid thing you could do will be covered under warranty. I mean you could put a knife blade in a vice, and bend it 90*, and the company would send you a new one (back then anyway). Every product has a market, Cutco has lasted for a long time. Their customers seem happy, I think. It's not any fault of Cutco's that they service a generally not-too-brite market. 

5. capsaicin

capsaicin

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I sharpened a straight edge Cutco knife once and was expecting absolute crap.  It actually surprised me given what I had heard about Cutco over the years.

The steel seems to be something in the neighborhood of a 440 stainless.  It does take a decent edge -- I took it to 15* as with most non-Japanese knives I sharpen for my friends -- and from what my friend has told me since, keeps the edge reasonably well with a microbevel at about 25*.

But when he told me how much these things go for, I bust a gut laughing.  It's not absolute crap but it is just not worth the money that they charge.  For the same money, you can get far, FAR superior knives.  I would not bother with them, especially the serrated edge ones that shred your food.

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    As BDL says Cutco is very overpriced salesman s commission is extremely high. and they are really not that good.

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's 440A.  So it is 440, but the cheap kind.  It's fairly fine grained and can be made reasonably sharp if the knife has the right geometry.  Cutco knives are stamped fairly thin, and thin is good for many knife things. 440A is a "value" but not a high quality steel.  Better than 420J I suppose, but not by much. 

And Ice, I never said they were bad knives, just way overpriced.  The OP's "Petite Chef" is a straight edged, wide, 7-5/8" chefs.  It retails for right around $100 (although you can find them discounted on ebay and a few other auction sites).  You can buy a pretty serious 8" knife for a hundred smackers. 

What Cutco's "straight edged" (aka fine edged) knives won't do is hold an edge very well.  That is they dull profoundly after very little use.  For a lot of cooks that's not a big deal because they expect knives to be dull.  

Cutco's "Double D" edges are a different story.  Not much happier, but different.  Serrated knives don't cut the same way as fine edged blades do.  They're really more saws than knives, leaving a ragged kerf rather than a smooth, fine cut.  The Double Ds aren't sharp in the same sense as... say... one of my knives, but they will efficiently cut.  Lots (most) people like serrated knives for cutting tomatoes for precisely that reason.  Like steak knives, the Cutcos don't cut well, but they cut at all.  And since those people can't sharpen, can't use a knife well, and have never used a good one, that works for them.

Now, I don't know about you but cutting nickles is not a big part of my prep.  Mirepoix yes.  Small change, no.

I can't tell you how many houses there are where the only usable prep knife in the house is a steak knife or Cutco Double D.  The homes of otherwise good cooks too.  That's the backstory behind why I'm so active talking about knives in Chef Talk.  You can do things with a sharp knife you can't with a dull or serrated one which make your food better.  Both the BDL persona and the real me are much more about cooking better and teaching others to do the same than hardware -- granted though, you can't always tell. 

BDL

PS.  Just like your Ice's first car, my current ride is a Ford.  Different year and model though.   

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    harrisonh likes this.
  8. capsaicin

capsaicin

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you for letting me know.  I was just going by how it felt on the stones and how it sharpened, both of which seemed to me exactly the same many other knives I've sharpened, stamped with "440" but generally did not specify which kind of 440.  I certainly was not going to take time looking up the specs online -- Cutco knives are something that I probably would not throw out if I already owned it (but would definitely give away or eBay if I did), but I would absolutely never buy.  Just not worth the money.

9. capsaicin

capsaicin

Exp:
    Home Cook
    btw it is technically illegal to cut up legal tender currency, is it not?

10. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook

It is a felony /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why not it's worth nothing anyway.

gourmetm likes this.
  12. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Awright, both of you, BDL and Iceman, stop and read the OP's post again.

Can ye both not hear the entire crew of Monty Python merrily singing "spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam"? 

Beware the auto mnfctr that brags that their gasoline engines never needing an oil change

Beware the knife mnfctr that brags that thier knives never need sharpening......

It's a freaking hacksaw blade, and everything you cut with it, the blade will leave scars and scraches on the surface.

It is waaaay overpriced, possibly 3rd party mark-up?

harrisonh likes this.
  13. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Naw, 20% sales person commission, 20% manager over-ride, 20% distributor over-ride, 20% reserve for lifetime warrantee, pretty soon you're into real overhead /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifBINGO $$$$$

14. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pump,

Could be, but I don't think it's that clear.  If she is spamming us she told us a lot about herself and waited a few posts before doing it.  I'd prefer to take her at face value  and chalk it up to the fact that some people just like them.  Even if mistaken, I haven't lost anything by assuming the best of motives on her part. 

BDL

15. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I don'tknow bout you, but for meit sure walks and quacks like a duck.........................

16. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Let's all just maybe give the benefit of the doubt and, you know, live and let live. OK? So come on now people. Let's stay on topic here. 

Let's be serious too. I'd be willing to guess that over 95% of the basic home-type people using knives for the regular type food preparation of their daily meals would be all sunshine and butterflies with Cutco knives. The greatest percentage of people (>95%) are not geeks. Knives is knives, and what they got pretty much gets the job done. I have absolute faith that the people buying Cutco knives will be just happy with them. 

17. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    IceMan's point is excellent. If you compare Cutco to the average American kitchen knife, they are superior.

My daughter sold Cutco while in college. Every thing was hunky dory until she came home one weekend and we compared Cutco and MAC.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifShe quit Cutco the following week.

18. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ice and Pete -- I agree with both of you;, but purely to push the conversation along would like to point out that what's in most peoples' homes is not the point of CT's "Knife" sub-thread.  While Cutco may be better than the very worst, there are much better choices.  People come here for advice, and deserve to be pointed towards those better choices and warned away from Cutco.

Meanwhile I'll try to pull the honing rod out of my [pop!]

BDL

19. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oops! Didn't look at the forum title, my bad!

20. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Originally Posted by PeteMcCracken  
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

BDL