CutCo knives?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
For the price, you're primarily getting hype.

You can do much better for the money they cost.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
They don't disclose the steel or hardness. Last I heard it was 440a and low mid 50s for hardness. 440a is highly rust resistant because it has low carbon. Too low of carbon for good edge holding and toughness.

The straight edge knives have low hollow grinds. Hollow grinds are the cheapest to produce and perform poorly in kitchen tasks because the are prone to wedging in the cut.

They have no distal taper which is desirable but not critical.

The handle is inappropriate for a proper pinch grip.

Much more can and will be said by others.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
My taste runs towards Mac and Misono. These are not usually the bang for buck knives that are more popular here.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Ummm.... Cutco are waaaay overpriced, and this is 100% to do with how they are sold— they won’t go through retailers.

The knives are also cheaply made, never mind the metallurgy lessons, it’s just a hunk of steel that happens to have a 1/4” hollow grind bevel on the bottom.

A good knife blade has to taper gradually from the spine or top of the blade to the bottom, or cutting edge. This is fair.y labour intensive and can be done either by forging or grinding. If you don’t do this what you have is a splitting wedge like for firewood. And this is exactly what the Cutco is. Also, just like you would never trust a gasoline powered car that never needs oil changes, never trust a knife that “never needs sharpening”

IN addition to Phatch’s recommendations I’ll add another: Victorinox, aka Forschner in the U.S., which for me is probably the best bang for your dollar, and a very respected brand with a lot of history.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I have a handful of Victorinox for specific purposes, and I love them.

Funnily, I do have a cutco spatula sreader in the home kitchen and it is pretty darn handy for sandwich making, but not really for cooking.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
I have some CutCo steak knives (a neighbor's son was selling them for college money years and years ago). They're ok. Still sharp. Never giving up my Wusthofs (what I have at home) though.

Top Bottom