Cut of Meat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ritafajita, Mar 8, 2002.

1. ritafajita

ritafajita

I'm embarrassed I don't know this, but what part of the cow is Ball Tip? Some people tell me it is sirloin, and some say round. Also, what is the difference between "two-up" and "two down"? I've cooked using various cuts for years, but this is the first time I have ever been in the position of having to make the purchasing decisions, and sometimes I don't know what the terms mean. My sales reps are generally of very little help. Thanks!
    RF

2. kimmie

kimmie

I hope this will answer your question:

round tip roast = tip roast = sirloin tip roast = tip sirloin roast Notes: This roast is just a cut away from the sirloin, so it's tender enough to be oven roasted or cut up into kabobs. If the roast is trimmed of some fat and muscle, it's called a trimmed tip roast = ball tip roast.

round tip steak Notes: This is a steak cut from an untrimmed round tip roast. If the steak is cut from a trimmed roast, it's called a trimmed tip steak = ball tip steak. If you first marinate them overnight, you can grill, broil, or pan-fry these steaks. If not, your best bet is to braise them or cut them into stew meat.