cut myself today

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by banpreso, Feb 9, 2010.

1. banpreso

banpreso

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    uhhhhhgh!!!

i made such a rookie mistake and sliced myself on the mandolin trying to slice some japanese eggplant for confit byaldi. arrrrgh, cut myself pretty deep on the back, right hand middle finger right on the knuckle of the 1st digit. bled a lot, stopped the bleeding, put on bandaid and rubber glove and finished the dish. i'll go see urgent care tomorrow, it's not too serious, it's just the cut is really deep, but there's no nerve there...

i felt so stupid!!! could've done a better job with my chef knife! the eggplant was too soft!!! i should've repositioned my hand and it was one cut too many.

well, thank God i'm mostly okay. gonna have to keep it dry for a while. hopefully i'll recover quickly. i have a meal to cook tomorrow, probably will get some help.

i guess this sort of thing will happen sooner or later if i keep cooking. gotta pop the cherry sooner or later... good thing anthony bourdain considers it a glorious thing... make me feel slightly better i guess.

i'm okay.. cook on

2. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    Ouch!
    mandoline cuts hurt. Be glad it wasn't the palm of your hand you cut... takes forever to heal!
    Yeah, but finger cuts are the worst, always getting lemon juice in them... band-aids just soak the lemon juice up...
    Get stitches and you can't immerse your finger... that sucks. sorry.
    Good luck on the healing! :)

BTW, isn't anthony bordain a crappy trade paperback author (sorry, not sure I've heard of him). ;) Oh wait, he's that guy that eats food in that show! nvm

3. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My hubs (BF at the time) offered to slice some carrots and decided to use the mandolin (a MS cheapie). About five minutes later I hear a huge barrage of choice words coming from his part of the kitchen. Yep...spent 4 hours and a couple hundred dollars on that mistake. How was I to know he didn't have a clue?
    * see my avatar?

4. cabosailor

cabosailor

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    After whacking a bit of my fingertip off on my mandoline I went out and bought a kevlar glove. It gives me a bit more piece of mind although I doubt it is total protection. After all its cut "resistant" not cut proof.

Rich

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The glove does help, I have stabbed myself using the Julienne blade on the mandolin though. The tips on the blade went right through the webbing. never a had a problem with the sliceing blade and a glove though. Those things are just dangerous regardless, if you can do it with a knife, do it with a knife.:peace:

6. banpreso

banpreso

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    i went to urgent care today. doctor said i would've gotten stiches hadi gone in yesterday, but now just let it heal, about 10 days i should be fine

phew... not too bad

7. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Yep, after 6 hours, you don't suture. You let it heal secondary intention.

8. pure instincts

pure instincts

Exp:
    Other
    Has anyone ever seen that video of a chef on a cooking show who says something along the line of "almost every accomplished chef has cut him or herself on a french mandolin, but I have not yet..." (cuts himself, and then start swearing profusely). Be proud of your battle scars! Rawr!

9. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I can imagine the pain. Ouch.. Take care nextime..

10. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    And where was the guard?

11. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Apparently not between the hand and eggplant. I love my slicer, but I always, always use the guard. I've never thought of my digits as particularly tasty. ;)

12. cascadecatering

cascadecatering

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I never use a guard, but I'm cautious to the point of paranoia. I find the guard too flimsy and unstable to bother with. Never had any major cuts with a mandolin so far.

13. banpreso

banpreso

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    lost the guard long time ago.

honestly for eggplant i think i could've done a better job just wtih my chef knife. maybe i'll check out one of those kevlar gloves next time.

the dish turned out great, everyone liked it

14. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    This is the one I have.
    [​IMG]

15. chefjason_s

chefjason_s

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When I was in culinary school I had an instructor that said "if you didn't need stitches you didn't 'cut' yourself...you 'scratched' yourself". Unfortunatly, I have "cut" myself three times. It sounds like you did too you just let nature "stitch" it for you. Hope all is well.

16. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh that sucks. I usually cut myself at the tail end of a big gig. I've done all kinds of fancy knife work - and then cut myself while slicing baguettes.

17. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I cut myself on equipment far more often than with a knife.
    Hotel pan nicks, cold table lid dings, etc.

18. theages

theages

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love this quote from Chef Jason S! We have a joking phrase in our kitchen, "6 stitches to go home early." I have also had a mandolin encounter, with the julienne blade attached. I received about 10 small slashes on the heel of my hand. And I still do not use the guard! But I have learned to be more careful.

19. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You guys are hard core! Reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "It's only a flesh wound!"

20. cyberdoc

cyberdoc

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I don't cut myself often, but I do tend to burn the crap out of myself.