Customers that threaten bad Yelp reviews

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pete, Aug 27, 2013.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ... beautifully written!  there are some people in this world that THINK that they are important. 

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was in total agreement with him and have even behaved similarly (likewise receiving kudos and cheers from other diners upon 86'ing unruly patrons), up to the point of his his last example.

I am a chef and yes I have an ego and yes I take pride in what I do and my passion, but it is important for me practice humility as well.

I need to be able to read my guests and realize that not everyone wants to be graced with my presence. It is hard to admit, but I am not THE EXPERIENCE, I am merely part of it. When I go out to dinner, I hate overly chatty waiters that want to be my friend. I didn't ask the waiter to be my dinner companion, just do your job. I waited tables for a number of years and the ability to read guests was paramount to the guests overall satisfaction and thusly my tip. Some people want lots of interaction. Some do not. When dealing with guests, chefs need to keep this in mind.

God knows I have been guilty of over exaggerating my importance over the years, but luckily for me, my wife (an emergency room nurse) brings me back to reality on a regular basis. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    kokopuffs likes this.