Customer comments

Joined Feb 13, 2021
What should I do !!

I run small cake business from home and I got this customer complaing about cake that didn't taste nice it was dry.
Be running this business from 3 year now all get lot of good feed back about my cake .
This wee I have made 10 cakes using same cake mix and she was only one complaing it was dry.
From beginning lady placed order in last year before covid 19 started.
Then she wanted to cancel as new rules come in .
I said that fine but there is no refund but can postpone cake.
She was happy do to that.
Then whated cake for December got cancelled again from covid 19 .
Then booked in for February this year at last min day before for pary
We put into lock down.
And that week she paid owning amount for cake.
I text her about pick up cake.
Was not happy as party was cancelled and she got cake now she doesn't want.

She took to this on fb complaining about cake that it was dry and not same as picture she set me .
And asking for refund.

And in the beginning I told her name at frount I can't do but can put cake topper on cake at frount
Show her picture she said that be fine and fondant animals be sitting not standing.

What are my rights and should I give refund

Joined Aug 21, 2004
What are my rights and should I give refund
Sometimes a business owner's rights... are wrongs when it comes to customer/guest interaction/service. Word of mouth is powerful. If a guest has a good experience, they will probably tell one or two friends; but if they have a negative experience...they will tell everybody they can.

Which is more costly...giving a refund?...or not giving a refund?

Joined Feb 13, 2021
Sometimes a business owner's rights... are wrongs when it comes to customer/guest interaction/service. Word of mouth is powerful. If a guest has a good experience, they will probably tell one or two friends; but if they have a negative experience...they will tell everybody they can.

Which is more costly...giving a refund?...or not giving a refund?
Thank.you for your message.
Yes ture in way.
But all my time and cost in do cake for nothing just because she say it dry when I have other customers saying cakes taste nice. In same week .

Thank.you

Joined Nov 9, 2020
There is also a good chance that being held to receiving a bespoke product she ordered then had no need for made her less than appreciative of being held to it, so her comments were lashing out... unfortunately, it's a hard road to backtrack from.

If it were me, and it had gone on past 6 months, I probably would have refunded her money, and told her that once things settled down, we could try it again. Like you said, when this disaster known as Covid hit us, all the rules had changed... and while, yeah, it would hurt to lose a deposit for future work, if you know that it's unlikely the order would complete for reasons beyond all our controls, I would have offered her at least a partial refund (say, if I had to buy specialty equipment for her order).

The other thing is she will remember your willingness to work with her due to and durting a crummy situation. When her friends ask for a recommendation for a baker, she will remember how you worked with her and possibly send them your way.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
If this were normal circumstances... But they are not. She got the event cancelled/postponed because of the pandemic, not because she was being flaky. I'd give her the money back.
For what it's worth, I think the dry cake comment is pretty funny. I can't remember ever eating a dry cake and I never miss an opportunity to eat cake. I suspect the woman said dry because she knows it's fallacious on it's face. But either way, be happy you still have people to sell cakes to in these trying times.
I think if you give her the money back, she'll just come back later and spend it on another cake. But after the pandemic.

Top Bottom