currywurst?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Jan 21, 2012.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I would like to make some for the family.  I googled up some recipes, but thought I'd see if anyone here had a tried and true version to share.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't have a "tried and true" recipe as when I make this I usually just throw it together.  Here's what I do; mince 1 onion and a clove of garlic, sweat in butter until translucent then add some curry powder (yes the yellow stuff-sweet or hot, your choice I use either or both depending on my mood).  Cook a minute or 2 stirring constantly.  Deglaze with a bit of worcestershire sauce and an ounce or 2 of the beer you're drinking then add about 2 cups of ketchup.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes, over low heat and serve over sliced sausages.

It's not fancy and when I first heard of this I thought it was bizzare, but I've come to really like it.  Not sure how "traditional" my version is, but it is tasty.

3. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I thought much the same thing the first time I saw it at an Imbiss.  You can actually buy a curry ketchup for this at my local German deli.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My first thought at seeing "currywurst" was actually making sausages seasoned with curry flavorings.

Wonder how those might taste?  Perhaps an experiment sometime soon.

mjb.

5. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I knew my daughter, who isn't a fan of sausages or sauces in general (though if it's chinese or italian, all these preferences go away) wouldn't be a fan. I was right. My youngest son liked it, My middle son prefers mustard over this. Wife thought it was Ok. I liked it pretty well, but it's probably not something I'll repeat for everyone.

I might just buy some of that curry ketchup to have on hand as an option whenever we do have brats though.

6. vohrtex

vohrtex

Exp:
    Other
    Popular in NYC right now. Little place down the street serves 6 kinds of sausage and german beer. The classic dish the german owner makes is grilled kielbasa covered in curry sauce with french fries. Pete's recipe sounds like it would taste the same, spicy but not too hot. They offer mayo with it for your fries.

7. woodoveneats

woodoveneats

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    World Market (chain store) sells curry ketchup.

8. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've been looking into more Wurst ideas and came across a helpful page on making wurst yourself. In German of course. For currywurst, they use this recipe. 

http://selber-wurst-machen.de/WP/berliner-currywurst-ohne-darm/

They make a de-skinned fine grained gray-white sausage seasoned with salt, white pepper, nutmeg, sugar, cumin, clove. The recipe there is in grams per kilogram of ground pork  (2/3 pork belly, 1/3 leaner pork)

And something akin to a curing salt, but more specialized that includes stabilizers, anitoxidants, phosphate and other possibilities depending on type. But this is not so essential I don't think. 

There are some other fun recipes there too, particularly now that my sausage averse daughter is off at college. 

9. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I hate Currywurst, but that Brühwurst looks gorgeous!