Curry Pakora

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by abdul, Jul 20, 2010.

1. abdul

abdul

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hey All :)

Can anyone recommend a recipe for making Indian/Pakistani Curry made of chickpeas flour with Pakoras? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

I have heard that the samme chickpeas curry with crispy chicken is also an option,  any experiences with this?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone out there /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Par cook the vegies or meat you want in the pakora. I usually do a mixed variety of vegies: spinach, brocolli, potatos, a little onion.... If you're doing a mix, keep the vegies small or keep them large enough to do as individual battered items.  Some chopped cilantro is also a good addition to small or large items.

As to the batter, I mix it by eye.

Some chickpea flour (besan)

water about 1/2 to 3/4 by volume as besan

a little oil

ground cumin or coriander, not both, you want a distinct spice flavor, not a blend, well at least that's my experience, Somewhere around a teaspoon per cup of besan.

red pepper flakes or powder to your heat preference

salt

some baking powder. This is optional, I just like the lighter fritter that results

Mix this together. Your final batter texture depends on what you're battering. For a fritter of mixed small chunks, a thicker batter is needed. For a batter covering individual large chunks, a thinner batter is better. Whole raw leaves of spinach work too.

Heat the oil for frying to 350-375  Fry away. Timing varies by size and batter thickness. Pakora of small mixed vegies take longer for the batter to cook through to the middle.

Shrimp or seafood I wouldn't par cook, just batter and fry. Same for paneer cubes.

Serve with a some different chutneys. Tamarind, green chile, mint are all good.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Looking at this again, it seems you might have meant spiced with curry powder. Haven't experience that and would think the single spicing would be more distinct but nothing wrong with experimentation.

If you mean a curry like dish of sauced pakora, I've not seen that either but would think it to be a dish of leftovers. Leftover pakora and extra sauce rather than a specific construct.