Culinary Trivia?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by nicko, Aug 22, 2000.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well since the Iron Chef Trivia took off so well I thought we could try some Culinary Trivia and see who can stump everyone else.

Here is a semi-tough question:

What did Escoffier use to clarify his fish consomme with?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Egg whites

3. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I belive he states to use caviar mashed, mixed with cold fish fumet, bring up to a boil and simmer gently for twenty minutes with the pot offset of the flame in order to clarifiy. and gently pour the consomme through cheesecloth.

-Here's one-
    What is the Indian version of clarified butter, simular in preparation to Beurre Noisette, called?

opps! I forgot....did I get the first question right?

[This message has been edited by layjo (edited August 23, 2000).]

4. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ghee. Next question: Why did the French name brown sauce "espagnole"?

5. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    From what i've heard....The sauce means Spanish Sauce and was named so because the ingredients that were used to make the sauce back then were the finest of those type of ingredients from Spain.

6. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Layjo you are right, Escoffier used caviar when clarifying consomme. I am not sure on the naming of espagnole sauce anyone know?

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here is one for you all: How did the term "upper crust" of society come about? And another: Why is a Baker's dozen 13? Good luck.

8. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I am not sure about the baker's dozen, does it have something to do with the disciples?

9. bayou

bayou

Pete, about the "Baker's Dozen" question - I have heard that back in the 17th (or 18th) century, in Europe, there were very severe penalties for "short changing" (by weight)customers on grain items, such as rolls, buns, etc. So, the bakers started adding an extra item - just in case their scales were a little off. I've seen this explanation in more than one place - hope this helps.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    In southern Louisiana Lagniape is alittle extra.....does anyone know when the cajuns or Acadians started this?

11. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ok we need a re-cap, will all of the people who posted a question make sure they answered it.

What was the answer to this question:

What is the Indian version of clarified butter, simular in preparation to Beurre Noisette, called?

And this one:

Why did the French name brown sauce "espagnole"?

12. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bayou answered the one about "baker's dozen" pretty much correctly. In the Middle Ages (1300-1500) penalties were very stiff for bakers who overcharged or underweighed bread. To make sure that they would not be punished, in case their scales were off compared to the regulators, they would throw in an extra piece. Better to lose a little product than to spend a day or 2 in the pillory. Now can anyone answer the other question I posted.

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sauce espagnole is one of the five mother sauces (the # is debated these days)but regardless what are the remaining 4 mother sauces

14. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ok,, how about mangosteen
    where is it from?
    what is it?
    and what is it used for?

15. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Sorry about that folks!....the answer to the question.
    What is the Indian version of clarified butter, simular in preparation to Beurre Noisette,
    ANSWER: Ghee, Greg answer is correct!

16. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The French named brown sauce espagnole because the use of roux originated in Spain. Next question: Where did mayonnaise originate?

17. isa

isa

Sauce Espagnole was so named because of its brown colour.

18. isa

isa

Four versions of the origin of mayonnaise

The first version, gives the credit to the Duc de Richelieu who captured Port Mahon on June 28 1756. He gave the name mayonnaise to the sauce he or his cook made for the fisrt time that night.

Other sources think that the mayonnaise originated in Bayonne where the mayonnaise was a speciality. The bayonnaise with time became the mayonnaise.

Carême has said that the mayonnaise is a derivation of the verb manier. At first it would have been known as magonnaise or magnionnaise.

Prosper Montagné belived the word was a deformation of moyeunaise which came from a old french word moyeu meaning egg yolks.

19. cookm

cookm

How about this? Where did the Japanese get the idea for tempura from?

20. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    the portugese catholic priests staying in japan after its dicovery. Im not sure of the exact portugese dish, but it was a way of cooking the priests the obligatory friday night seafood meal.