crust question

Joined Apr 19, 2001
I just found fresh Bing and Mt. Ranier cherries in the market! Thought I'd do a cherry clafouti for Christmas dessert, and was thinking that an almond crust might be nice. Has anyone ever done a clafouti in a crust? Is there any reason it couldn't be done??

Thanks in advance!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Clafoutis is one of my favorite desserts. I do however wait to the first cherries of summer to make it. To your question of a crust I think it should be fine.actually many pastry chefs line there pans with pastry and the finished clafoutis looks like a cherry tart.

I serve mine warm simply with vanilla bean icecream

Joined Oct 19, 2001
Actually... I usually do an almond crust on my cherry clafoutis. it's delicious.

oh, man, now i'm craving cherries.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Almond crust will be fine. I agree that cherries are at their finest in the summer, however. Good luck, and let us know how t goes.:)

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I always use a crust with clafoutis (my tastes), it sure can be done. Pre-bake your crust (95% of the way) since it doesn't take the custard long to set.

Depending on what you want, I also have bruleed the top for some extra interest..... I do a blueberry clafoutis topped with a lemon chiboust that I caramelize....you can totally expand on the clafoutis.

Sugared almonds on top might be nice or a crushed brittle.....

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Thanks, y'all!

I agree about the taste of (?) winter cherries - I had the produce guy break a package so I could taste - not quite the sweetness of summer cherries,but they'll do! i was actually mildly surprised that they were so good.

Merry Christmas to all!

Joined Nov 6, 2001
marmalady
Hi..i did a one this weekend ..a poached pear clafouti with a paistachio crust..it worked very well...

patrick

Joined Nov 29, 2001
I had no idea that clafouti could be made with a crust! I thought it was just a batter-and-fruit-against-pan type of thing.

Joined Apr 19, 2001
To Chiffonade - Neither did I, that's why I posted the question! Thanks to all for your replies - I made a cherry/almond clafouti with an almond crust for Christmas dessert - it was fabulous! :bounce:

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Cherry Almond Clafouti w/Almond Crust

Almond Crust - 1 9" crust

1/2 cup almonds
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
6 T. unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Process nuts in Cuisanart to grind finely without reducing them to a paste; scrape down bowl, and add remaining dry ingredients; pulse once or twice to combine. Add butter, and pulse 3-4 times until mixture is evenly moistened; pour the mixture into the pie plate. Pat the mixture evenly into the pie plate, pressing into place and being sure mixture is evenly distributed. Blind bake for about 15 minutes, til bottom crust is 'set' and edges are just starting to turn. Remove and cool.

Cherry Almond Clafouti

3 cups pitted cherries (I used Bing, but sour cherries can be used)
3T. Kirsch
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
pinch of salt
2/3 cup flour

Combine cherries and kirsch, and let sit. In a blender, combine milk, cream, eggs, sugar, almond extract, salt, and flour. Blend at high speed for 1 minute; scrape down sides and blend again til mixture is smooth.

Pour a little of the batter into the cooled crust, and arrange the cherries over it in an even layer, then carefully pour the rest of the batter on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes, til top is puffed and golden brown, and batter is set.

If you don't have fresh cherries, frozen will do; just be sure to thaw and drain them well.

Bon appetit!

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Ooohhhh! Sounds fabulous. I'll be sure not to eat it in one sitting!

Thanks so much marmalady!

:lips:

Joined Apr 30, 2001
This sounds really wonderful. I am going to have to find an excuse to make it.

Perhaps the next moon ceremony...or maybe near Valentine's day. It sounds like a dessert full of love.

Latest posts

Top Bottom