Crust Question

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by nate_bottman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. nate_bottman

nate_bottman

I just tried out my new linen-lined banneton yesterday with some French bread. I floured it a fair amount, and so, of course, the bread had lots of flour on the surface. Because of the flour, the crust had more of the rustic chewy texture than I would like. Any ideas on how to get a cracklier crust when using floured bannetons?

2. madgoose

madgoose

are you proofing the bread in the floured banneton? all that flour on the bread while it's proofing will make the crust gummy and chewy

3. nate_bottman

nate_bottman

Yes, I'm proofing the bread in the floured banneton. Next time I might just try using very little flour, as it seems like the linen releases the dough fairly easily.

4. madgoose

madgoose

yeah i think too much flour is the prob let me know how it works out

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    try using rice flour instead of regular flour. The rice flour prevents the bread dough from sticking in the banneton but doesn't stick so much to the dough when you unmold on to your peel.

Jock

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    While excess flour can be a negative, I don;t think it's the only cause of your crust problem. Before I shoot my mouth off, have you baked this exact recipe in your current oven successfully prior to introducing your bannetons?