crunchy out side and gooy inside

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by rexxar, Aug 5, 2010.

1. rexxar

rexxar

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i had an idea of making a gelatin thickened soup and breading it when solid and deepfrying it with a crust made of pumkinseeds.

My problem how would i keep the filling from seeping out while it cooks i'm kinda in a pickle

-rexxar

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The chinese do this with a dumpling. Make a gelatinous chicken stock and season it, or add gelatin to a connsomme type soup. Chill, portion, wrap in a dumpling skin and seal. Steam while still cold. Frying is problematic as it would probably cause too much expansion in the dumpling fillig.

Perhaps par steam the wrapper, cool, fill with  the stock, seal, refrigerate. Bread the whole dumpling and fry.  Might be something better misted with oil and hit with a torch.

I certainly don't guarantee the technique will work. Just offering some ideas based on a classic Chinese dumpling.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Phatch draws a good parallel. 

The only thing I'd add is that for xialongbao aka xialong tong bao (Shanghai soup dumplings), there's no need to chill.  Just buy or make a "hard aspic," and you can work with everything at room temp, no problem.

The underlying technique Phatch raises is that of using the soup to create an  aspic, wrapping it in some sort of skin before crusting, and allowing the heat from cooking to melt the aspic bakc to soup. 

There are real benefits to including some sort of farce with the aspic.  Not so much in the making but in terms of how the diner can eventually eat.  Working in small pieces would make it easier to make, and the idea probably functions best as a bite-size tidbit anyway.  

Xialongbao don't hold long.  The soup starts leaking and drying out within minutes of cooking.  They are also very fragile and difficult to handle when cooked.  The Chinese method of cooking and service is to steam them in batches in a small steamer basket and serve them in the basket.

If you haven't tried them yourself xiaolongbao can be something of a trick to eat -- involving spoons and sticks, and getting the right amount of black vinegar with ginger julienne into the spoon or dumpling itself.  Everyone has their own style of eating them -- I use the three bite method.

Some restuarants serve straws so people can suck the soup out, before eating.  The straw lessens the probability of getting soup on your shirt as well as the need to be seriously adept with sticks.  My impression is that the straw is aimed at guailo (or, as my wife says, gailan), and isn't  particularly Chinese, or at least not SGV Chinese.  "Authentic" or not, it works in New York City and it could work for you.  

Overall, the fried soup sounds like a cute idea -- something like chocolates with liquid centers.  I'm very interested to hear if you can perfect it, assuming you can work it out at all.

BDL

4. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Agar agar is your friend in this one.  Achatz is known for a "liquid centered" pheasent leg that is filled with an agar agar set apple gelee.  I've cribbed the basic concept few times and it works like a charm.  With a little tweaking I'm sure you can apply it to your concept.

--Al