Croquembouche Questions

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by salsaman42, Dec 27, 2009.

1. salsaman42

salsaman42

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi, I have to make a wedding croquembouch on January 2nd, containing about 120 puffs. Problem is, the bride is insisting that it be the centerpiece of the buffet, and the wedding & the reception are in the same old mansion. It needs to be placed at 2:30, before guests start arriving, and will not be eaten until about 6 or 6:30. I read one article to assemble it unfilled then fill the puffs as late as possible. I'm using the traditional caramel as the glue. Will that plan work? It will only save me about an hour, not sure it's worth doing it that way. Also, need to fill with something that will not make the puffs soggy for as long as possible. I use the vanilla bavarian cream that comes in plastic sleeves for my cakes, which does not need refrigeration, but the bride is expecting it to be "lightened" a little bit, but I'm worried the lightening will cause soggy issues sooner, anyone agree? What could I lighten with that wouldn't cause that? if anything. Also,considering the time issue, should I make a posterboard cone, covered with wax paper, build it around that then leave the cone in place, to be sure it doesn't collapse? Any advice any of you can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Scott

2. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    IRONIC I just had a discussion with an award winning CPC regarding this and he informed me the only correct way was a la minute or as close to actual service as possible .There is nothing you can do to stop the pate a choux from getting soggy. I even thought of spraying with gel but NG. If possible make a styrofoam core wrapped with foil then plastic so it wont cave inward. I do not envy you. god luck :chef:

3. salsaman42

salsaman42

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi, thanks for your response. Actually, after I posted my questions, I went ahead & made half a batch, and decided I worry too much, I dipped one partially in caramel at 5pm, I ate it at 6am and it was not soggy, the caramel was slightly sticky but still had a little crunch. I used the vanilla bavarian cream in the sleeves, so it didn't need to be refrigerated, so making it and letting it sit for 5 hours should not be a problem. Now if it was summer & humid, it probably wouldn't work. I might build it around a posterboard cone and leave the cone in place, just to be extra safe. Thanks :thumb:

4. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    3 hours should be fine ,I am talking a day in frige. Florida always humid.

5. salsaman42

salsaman42

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It turned out awesome, go to my website to see it, you can find that in my profile...