Croissants

Joined Jun 28, 2018
So I am having trouble with my croissants. When I bake my croissants the butter starts to seep out of the dough. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks guys

Joined Sep 26, 2017
It can be from a lot of things, but the most common one is from proofing your croissants too warm.

Is your proofing temperature > 86°F/30°C ?

Joined Jun 28, 2018
It can be from a lot of things, but the most common one is from proofing your croissants too warm.

Is your proofing temperature > 86°F/30°C ?
Hard to tell because I am letting them bench proof at room temp in our bakery but it is hotter in some areas than others. I could try proofing in other parts of the kitchen and see if that helps.

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
Hard to tell because I am letting them bench proof at room temp in our bakery but it is hotter in some areas than others. I could try proofing in other parts of the kitchen and see if that helps.
Actually it's easy to tell. What's the ambient temperature in your bakery? That will give you the info you need basically. Croissants do best in a controlled temp/humidity environment. I'm guessing you don't have a proof box. Given that, you'll probably need to put your croissants in the coolest part of the bakery because I'm also assuming that your bakery, like most, is pretty warm. If the issue is overproofing or overly warm proofing you'll see the butter ooze out before you put them in the oven. It could also be a case of too many folds. There are multiple causes, and you need to eliminate possible problems one by one.

Top Bottom