Croissant Troubleshoot

Joined Nov 13, 2021
I recently made croissant for the second time. It was certainly an improvement from my first time. First time was a total fail (just very bread-y), and the second time I was able to get some honeycombs in my croissant, but they were still feel dense and the layers were not as separate as I wanted them to - see image. Also, when I was baking them, there were a pool of butter. I did some research and it seems like I might have underproofed (although i proofed it for 3 hours....). I would like to continue perfect my croissant making, so does anyone have any idea on what went wrong? Thank you very much for all your guidance!!

Attachments

• IMG_4190.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 4
Joined May 5, 2010
Welcome to CT. Croissants are all about keeping the dough cold, folding, cutting, and stretching before rolling. Without knowing your technique, it would be difficult to pinpoint what you need to correct. At the top of this page is a search engine of all the topics we've spoken about here on CT. Type in croissants and you'll find a lot of expert advice.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
I recently made croissant for the second time. It was certainly an improvement from my first time. First time was a total fail (just very bread-y), and the second time I was able to get some honeycombs in my croissant, but they were still feel dense and the layers were not as separate as I wanted them to - see image. Also, when I was baking them, there were a pool of butter. I did some research and it seems like I might have underproofed (although i proofed it for 3 hours....). I would like to continue perfect my croissant making, so does anyone have any idea on what went wrong? Thank you very much for all your guidance!!
very underproofed, its got to be warm enough to be near the melting point and enough humidity to prevent crusting over. An oven with a gas pilot light is close enough, place a pan of boiling water in the bottom to add humidity, should do the trick under 2 hours.
Also looks like there is no flake to the dough, not enough butter or too much rolling folding (over-processed).

Top Bottom