Croissant Butter

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by Chefbutters1022, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Chefbutters1022

Chefbutters1022

Exp:
    10 years
    Has anyone ever used a compound butter as their roll in for their croissants and/or danishes to flavor the dough?

2. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    While I'm sure it's possible I think you would be better served just brushing the top with a seasoned melted butter mixture. With all the folding and rolling I'm not sure it would work properly with added chunks of ingredients. Also if you have things like delicate herbs mixed in they may brown/burn on the outside while cooking.

3. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    I've never tried it, but I'm thinking if no one has tried it and posted positive results, then it's probably not a good idea. My thinking is that whatever you added to the butter, like an herb or spice, might end up being too overpowering when it's rolled in multiple layers.

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    You can certainly use compound butters for rolling into croissants.
    I've used slightly sugared blueberries to make violet croissants.
    You can use finely grated cheese.
    As chefpeon says, most fresh or dried herbs will usually turn black or dark.
    The flavors are pretty limitless. ground herbs like cinnamon, cardamom, etc. work well.
    On the savory side, we've made sesame, nori, bonito flakes.
    Years back my daily breakfast was a Cubano Croissant from Momofuku's. oh my! pulled pork,
    ham, accompaniments rolled inside croissant dough made with pickle compound butter.

harpua likes this.
  5. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    That’s really good to know @panini! Now I gotta try it!!!!

6. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Love compound butter for laminated dough. I did a Pumpkin brioche feuilletee with a spiced butter, for fall two years ago. We also did a chipotle and garlic croissant dough that got filled with raspberry.

The possibilities are endless!!