Crispy Rhubarb Crisp *Without* Oats or Nuts?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by proudmommy926, Sep 12, 2011.

1. proudmommy926

proudmommy926

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I need help! My Husband loves, loves, loves rhubarb, especially rhubarb crisp. He wants me to make a rhubarb  crisp "like his Mom makes it." (Futile, I know lol) But I have to at least try, and his Birthday is coming up so I want to surprise him. The problem is that he doesn't eat oatmeal/oats or any nuts, and that's the only way I know how to make a crisp! His Mom swears up and down that she uses a Betty Crocker recipe, but the only BC recipes I can seem to find all call for oatmeal! Then I had her write down the recipe and it wasn't a crisp, it was a cake. (I'm pretty sure she's losing her mind, but that's besides the point.) He claims that hers was still crispy like a regular fruit crisp but without the oats, and I am totally at a loss as to how she could have achieved this. :( Please help!!! I know it probably won't be her exact recipe, but as long as it's a tasty crisp I'm hoping that will be good enough haha.

2. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It is possible to make a streusel topping that would get crisp, but not contain either nuts or oats.  

Here is a basic recipe -
    • 1/2 cup  butter, softened
    • 1/2 cup  granulated sugar
    • 1/2 cup  firmly packed light brown sugar
    • 2/3 cup  all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon  ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon  ground nutmeg
    Cream all together.  Either pass through a screen cooling rack or chill and grate with a large-hole grater.