Crispy chicken

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redvan, Jul 16, 2019.

1. redvan

redvan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi,
    I'm watching a well-known cooking challenge show and they're making really, really crunchy fried chicken that looks so good.

I've tried making fried chicken in a cast iron skillet like mom and grandmother did. I even bought a table top deep fryer and albeit the chicken comes out crunchy, it doesn't have the texture and look like chicken made on any of these shows. How do they do it?

Red

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The batter or the coating. I like mine not crunchy so I just use one coating of seasoned flour. You can also flour, eggwash, and then flour with other kinds of high protein flours but you will have to experiment. Or... Batter it and fry it. The variations are endless.

3. redvan

redvan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think I saw a tub of flakes later on and I wonder, could that have been corn flakes?

If so, how on earth do they get them to stick to the chicken?
    Red

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Dip in buttermilk, then flour, then back into the buttermilk then into your final top crunch coating. Can sub egg wash for the buttermilk. I just use seasoned flour for both dry coats... if I want a "battered" chicken. Most of the time I just shake in seasoned flour for a light crunchy crust.

5. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Add corn starch to your flour. I usually put 1/2 cup cornstarch for every 3 cups flour. You will get the crunch you are looking for. Also, add some of the buttermilk to your dry flour and stir it up real good the crumby mealy bits will add to the coating to give you a better crust. and let your floured chicken rest for 15 - 20 minutes before putting in oil.

tatnall likes this.
  6. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Serious Eats has several ways to crunchy chicken, thin-crust Korean included. Using 150 proof rum as part of the liquid is one trick.

planethoff likes this.
  7. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @rick alan I am a huge fan of Serious Eats. Especially Kenji Lopez-Alt

8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I was playing around the one time with some chicken on the charcoal grill.
    Seasoned them with whatever spices mixed with ground rice.
    They came out incredible crispy.
    Maybe it also works with frying/deep frying

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How fine did you grind the rice? My first thought is that it would come out gritty, but I am intrigued.

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have done it with grilled fish. I toasted the rice first and when I ground it, I kept it a bit coarse because I wanted the textural element. I have used it when deep frying as well for things like tempura. When I do that, I grind it fine like flour. It makes for light and crisp fried food due to no gluten. Cake flour, instead of all purpose works well also, due to lower gluten level.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  11. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't think it would work too well though for standard cut fried chicken because it browns quickly and would probably get too dark before the chicken was cooked through.

12. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Like @cheflayne :
    I toasted the rice first, then ground in a coffee grinder. I cant really remember how fine. Same as for toasted rice for Larb (the Thai dish).
    It was actually left over from that ;)
    The ground rice was mixed with coriander, cumin, dried smoked chili, white pepper and salt

These are them
    02 as 01.jpg 05 as 03.jpg

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I used to make good crispy fried chicken, I was happy with just a dusting of seasoned flour to be honest.

Then I had to give up gluten...

... and then a miracle happened. I started making the crispiest fried chicken i had ever eaten!! Try it, it’s just a simple 3 part dredge.

Cornstarch
    Egg
    2 parts mass harina, 1 part cornstarch.

I use this for every thing, shrimp, chicken nuggets, veal parmigiana, whatever you want to fry. In my opinion, the best chicken though comes from deep frying, not shallow frying.

14. tatnall

tatnall

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The buttermilk in the final station trick works quite well to add that 'gnarly' crust to fried chicken. I think it pretty much repicates the old school method of soaking in buttermilk and shaking in a paper bag with whatever breading/coating.

planethoff likes this.
  15. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @tatnall I was “the Chicken Man” at a fast food restaurant in my teens. I figured out the trick by not shaking out the basket as much after the buttermilk dip.

A friend of mine had the same position at a different location. We were very competitive. I took a lot of pride in my product.

16. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In a cast iron skillet ... all the things said previous to me are all nice and wonderful. I just haven't seen the correct answer yet.

Here it is ... 1.) Screaming hot oil. ... 2.) Don't put too much chicken in the pan.

All that nice stuff you've been told is all wonderful. But if your oil is not hot enough it will soak into the chicken. ... Good luck with crispy. If you put too much chicken in the pan your temp will drop to drastically and not come up. ... Good luck again with crispy.

These rules are for frying anything. A zillion years ago there was a "Wesson Oil" TV commercial ... "All but a tablespoon ...". ... High temp and not too much in the pan.

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain't rocket surgery.".

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
  18. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I start chicken at 375 and after 10 minutes drop the temp to 325 to cook the chicken through. The initial high temp doesn't do much for crispness BUT it sets the outside of the breading so it stays on!

french fries likes this.
  19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK Book-Boy ... I have NO idea what Your experience ... but in Mine if you try frying chicken <350* you're gonna get oily non-crisp chicken. ... If you drop too much chicken into the frier too quickly and the temp drops below 350* you're gonna get
    oily non-crisp chicken; the temp does not really come back fast enough.

You can believe whatever it is, and do whatever you want ... and I'll just keep earning a living wherever I go. ... You can point out books ... I'll speak from experience.