Crescent City Question

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by kylew, Jan 29, 2001.

1. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm goin' to New Orleans in May. I will be there primarily to eat [​IMG]! I think I have the dinners mapped out; Galatoires, Bayona, Brigsten's and Clancy's. Now I need help with breakfast and lunch. Any ideas? Any comment's on my dinner plan's?
    Thank's
    Kyle

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Galatoires serves lunch
    Mother's for breakfast or lunch (debris!!!)
    Central Grocery for a muffalato adn root beer
    Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee
    Check out the Central Business Farmer's Market they have good food for sale.
    (huge biscuit with cream fraise, jam and fruit)or fun sandwiches or small pies
    Bayonas does lunch too...
    Sunday Brunch in Abita Springs at Artesia
    Camila Grill is a land mark in Riverbend area...great diner all counter...service is a hoot, and food was really good years ago.

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks 'shroomgirl. I was hoping to get your input. You seem to be a devotee of The Big Easy. Are you a native?

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    NOPE....spent 15 years in southern La. went into NO pretty often. Been in St. Louis 5 years. I got down to NO over the holidays and talked to several friends that live down there. The market I founded is roughly based on the CBD market in NO. We have alot more chef interaction though....and they run year round.
    I adore New Orleans, could not live there anymore but I sure enjoy visiting. If you are going for the Jazz fest or during that time REALLY MAKE sure to get your reservations in order. That is a great party.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited 01-30-2001).]

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I second shroomgirl's suggestions of
    Mother's and Cafe Du Monde. [​IMG]

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    FnF, I will be arriving a day or two after JazzFest ends. I kinda like NO in its everyday form. I'm pretty much going to eat and it's easier to do when "no one" else is around [​IMG]

cchiu, I fully intend to have my share of cafe & beignet @ Cafe du Monde!

[This message has been edited by KyleW (edited 01-30-2001).]

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    By the way if you take coffee home....go to the grocery and get CDM coffee it;s cafe du monde for the locals at 1/2 the price.

***I liked the chef from Indigo~ it's new it should be scortching hot...110 seat by the race track of Esplande. They were opening in Dec. and the menu looked exciting. ( I stayed at the B&B that owns the restaurant and met the chef in Nov. a couple weeks before the opening)

hmmmmif your there on a Tuesday there is a farmers market at Uptown Square near the zoo and Loyola area off Broadway.

I havn't been to Brightsens in 7 years...the mashed sweet potatoes were memorable.
    There is this wonderful bakery Marquisa in the quarter near Jackson Square..1/2 block to the west? anyway they have this wonderful confection...chocolate shell fully enclosed topped with a disc that has their initials...raspberry liquid, small cake and a praline filling butter cream that is wonderful. They discontinue making it in the heat....croissants are good.
    I like Le Madeline for a chain it's a super bistro/bakery again on the corner of Jackson Square.
    Check with the NO tourist bureau they have what events are happening...there used to be a French Quarter food fest in Jackson Square that was wonderful...I met Paul Prudhomme there 14 years ago. Anyway servings from the quarter's restaurants for a couple of bucks and it was always REALLY GOOD>
    John Folse.... the man has the touch. He has a new B&B outside of New Orleans, don't remember their name (was in Southern living last month) anyway they serve dinner.
    I mention Artesia in Abita....John Besh has hands down one of the best restaurants I've been to and I eat at nice places. Foie 3 ways and served with hot fresh Brioche toast.
    White truffle risotto.... I called and told them I was coming and they did a great tasting for me.... just adjusted the menu slightly to make sure I got both the shrooms and truffles....and got a dessert asst. and sauterne with the foie. Great evening!! Know that is it a hike from NO and best to stay near there if your dining....I don't know if they opened their B&B yet but they can suggest places in that area. about 40 minutes from downtown NO
    This is same caliber as LeRuths for those that remember that great man and restaurant.

8. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Wow! Talk about a font of information. I will either have to extend my stay or rent a forklift to get me back to the airport! I have a friend who lives down there. She sends me care packages from time to time with CDM, Tony Chachere's, Zatarain's Creole Mustard etc etc. When I'm being very good she slips in a little andouille [​IMG]

We are staying @ The Soniat House in the Quarter. It came highly recommended and looks to be half way between a B&B and regular hotel. I am very psyched! Can it be May 10th tomorrow? [​IMG]

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Soniat House is incredible~ very romantic~ I stayed there once several years ago....it's very near Bayonas....
    Man I almost forgot. Peristyle...this is one I've wanted to go to yet they were closed last time I was in town.
    It's in the quarter and is rated well, Anne Kerney is chef and is supposed to do a super job. One more to consider.
    Martins Andouille rules

10. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Glad to hear that about Soniat House, as I am going with my honey [​IMG]

I have 4 nights. The dinners are now:
    1)Brigstens
    2)Galatoires
    3)Clancy's
    4) Bayona

Would you swap Peristyle in?

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I don't know clancy's and I don't know what days of the week you'll be there.....it matters.

possibly have lunch at Galatoires...you realize this is really old food...souffled potatoes and fruit cocktail on ice cream...really.
    Or Bayonas for lunch and Peristyle for dinner.....
    Brightsen....large rich portions
    Sunday Brunch not to be missed if your in town....Jazz brunch is too fun.

12. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I will be there Thursday through Monday so Sunday Brunch will be included. I know that Galatoire's is old but it just so cool in there! Clancy's came recommended by a local. I think I like your idea about lunch @Bayona and dinner @Peristyle. The same local also mentioned Peristyle. I really appreciate all your guidance [​IMG]

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sunday~ I'd either go to Folse's place if it's open for Brunch or Artesia....again you won't regret the trip.
    Peristyle is close to your B&B too...on Rampart of all streets.
    Your welcome.