Creme brulee variations

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tylerm713, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I recently received a creme brulee torch, so it's time to break out the ramekins and make some creme brulee. While I love the classic vanilla, I'm always looking for ways to tweak recipes with something a little different. So I'm looking for some good creme brulee variations, and your thoughts on the variations I'm thinking of.

Here's what I have in mind.

Cinnamon (a la Crema Catalana)

Maple (and perhaps cayenne)

Walnut-brown sugar

Orange

Coffee

Ginger-lime

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It may sound a little odd, but I made a creme brulee bread and butter pudding, by putting far more custard than needed over the bread, so there's a layer above the bread when it's cooked.

i used dried, ready to eat apricots instead of raisins as they float to the top and as they caramelise, they're  alot nicer than burnt raisins.

The bread does havea tendancy to float to the the top too, so you have to push it down before the custard sets

3. gumboots

gumboots

Exp:
    Line Cook
    At my resort I believe that we have chocolate, green tea, passionfruit and probably some other flavors that I can't recall at the moment.

4. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like a very traditional made creme brulée (also crema catalan) with no alien additions at all. Believe me, it's  difficult to make it perfect. In fact, when I eat out, if possible, I will always order creme brulée for dessert. I quote restaurants on basis of their capability to make an unforgettable creme brulée; thin crunchy layer of sugar, not too sugary custard, cooked through but still a bit wobbly, vanilla...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010