creative. coatings

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Nov 1, 2016.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Few fast food places started using chips like cheetos doritoes as coatings for meat. Got me thinking besides flavored bread crumbs or shake n bake this is kind of a good idea so ordered chips from walmart of different variety to try. How about you and your creative. Coatings

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    They're engineered rather differently than just rehashing of crumbs. It's more about achieving a taste that still looks and works for the industrial fabrication process and brand image.

Imho, most of these products will not stand up well to deep frying. Maybe as a baked coating.

Grated parm or similar cheese is probably my favorite crust flavor booster.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Sometimes I fry up some bacon until it's brittle, turn it into a powder and mix it in with breadcrumbs before breading chicken for shallow frying. 

I've also done the classic rack of lamb coated in herbed crumbs: finely cutting tons of fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, cilantro... whatever you can find) very finely and mixing them with breadcrumbs. Sear the rack of lamb to pre-cook it, then crust it and bake it to achieve a nice green/golden brown color. 

morning glory likes this.
  4. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Well im using an air fryer so that my help. Have trief burger king Cheetos. Chicken fingers taste like nothing.

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I just breaded some pork scallops tonight with plain breadcrumbs, and I was thinking, next time I may try to add ground dried porcini, minced garlic,  and rosemary, as in Pangrattato. That could be interesting!

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Someone is obsessed with pangrattato./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

One of my favorite coatings is saltine crackers, minced garlic, and lemon zest.  An herb too if I have it on hand.  There is nobody on earth that loves cheetos more than I do (seriously!) but even I wouldn't use them for a coating.  I don't even like the trendy corn flake trend.

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You gotta use the pre fried or pre baked versions of these.  So use pretzel dough par baked, then made into pretzel crumbs.  Same with Doritos.  You can use a chip that's meant for frying that is "pre-fry" and use that to coat your product.

Personally I like fresh bread crumbs either plain or with herbs added and salt and pepper.

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Definitely. And so are my kids. That stuff is gold dust, I can sprinkle it on anything and they'll eat it. I can never thank you enough for that! And this time I got the name right!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

koukouvagia likes this.