Chef Forum banner

Creaming goat butter

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chefwriter 
#1 ·
When creaming goat butter (for biscuits), should it be cold or at room temperature? As i know it turns quite liquidy when it is at room temperature, but most people assert that it should be used at room temperature. As long as the sole goal is to aerate it, shouldn't it be soft and malleable, despite what temperature it is? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I can't say I have the answer to your question but if it's for biscuits, then I would treat it like any fat for biscuits and have it chilled so it remains separate from the flour and can melt and steam in the baking process.
But then you say the goal is to aerate it. Why are you aerating the goat butter? Do you mean whipping it? And yes, I guess if aerating it is your goal, then soft would be better than cold and stiff.

#3 ·
Do you mean biscuits that you split and fill with cream and berries (or in the South, with gravy) or cookies (like rolled/cut out or drop cookies)? Chefwriter's question made me wonder if you were making cookies (aerating or creaming butter is a way some recipes for rolled cookies start).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.