Cream Cheese with Seltzer

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shel, Jul 2, 2007.

1. shel

shel Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Why would anyone put seltzer in cream cheese. TodayI saw a small plastic cup of the product. Ingredients: Cream Cheese, Seltzer. What's that all about?

Shel

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    ewwww.....does not read appetizing at all.

3. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Sounds like an attempt to make it spreadable. Kinda like whipped butter/cream cheese.

4. shel

shel Banned

Exp:
    Other
    After checking around, I could not find anything conclusive, although therte were some comments about adding cream cheese and seltzer to other ingredients in order to make a spread of some sort, but nothing that I could find about just adding seltzer to cream cheese. The store was chrging a lot of money for so small a cup if this concoction.

Shel

5. carla70

carla70

Exp:
    owner deli
    This is actually a method used to whip cream cheese in some of the best bagel shops around the country. I owned 4 deli/bagel shops including one kosher/ non kosher shop. I would train all my cooks/ chefs to whip blocks of cream cheese with seltzer to help add the light fluffiness into the mixture right before we would add ingedients such as vegetable. olives, garlic and herbs.. and other ingedients depending on what type of cream cheese they were creating. This method was used daily all our cream cheese were made in batches for the day and what did not sell out was discarded. When you use milk it will remain good longer - since we would sell out daily there was no reason to use milk.

drirene likes this.
  6. utgunn

utgunn

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow, it's little tidbits like this that keep me reading these forums...whoodathunkit