Crazy People and Backstabbing in the kitchen....opinions??

Joined Mar 3, 2016
I like the honey vs vinegar approach, although I use the terminology of "you get better results from the carrot than the stick"
An example: you were running out of tomatoes and eggs, which you needed. Rather than call the vendors, chef gave you an option which you didn't agree with.
Rather than a snarky comment about costs, the "honey" solution would have been to say "chef, I can call the vendors if you're too busy - it's something I've never done and always wanted to learn!"

Regards the soup, perhaps ask his advice by saying " I was asked to make it less thick by the owners. Where do you think I may have gone wrong?"

Anger and disputes between staff should NEVER become a conversation to be heard amongst guests - it discourages their belief in a nice dining experience.

Joined May 14, 2014
kaiquekuisine kaiquekuisine my advice came from being in a similar situation, and I made a similar decision. Sometimes it ain't worth the fight.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 11, 2013
So guys i decided to give everyone an update. 

Me and the chef worked out our kinks. Today was a great service everything went super well. 

For a monday it was huge. 

Then we had a staff reunion.... that ended terribly. 

Due to the fact of the inexperience in management and the need to cut costs, they decided to cut everyone loose. The restaurant will close next month. 

I´m a bit upset, but i guess i pretty much get to stop working with the chef, without having to quit.

Regardless i´m upset that the restaurant is closing though. I worked really hard. At the end i had a meeting with the owners and they were very pleased with what i had done, and wished they had hired me and some of the other employees earlier. 

Costs was a huge deal, since both chefs weren´t really managing anything very well. At least i did my job. Feel bad for the owners that i had as friends, but we all have to move on i guess. 

Last edited:
Joined Dec 23, 2004
Sorry to hear that, KK.  I've worked at a few restaurants that went out of business.  At least you had a heads-up.  At one place I worked many years ago the only clue was when I came in for work and the back door was chained and a sign on it saying they were closed permanently.  Owner filed banko and no one ended up getting a paycheck.

Joined Jun 19, 2016
when i first read your post i considered that you were a little out of your place as a line cook, however in my years ive met some kitchen stewards with far greater capacity then some so called chefs, and although I think you might have handled situations better, I also think the chef should do moreso as a leader, so I have to side with you somewhat, but I'm not saying your right :)

think of it from this perspective, you have a job because he isn't doing it.. if he was doing it then maybe you wouldn't even be there in the first place, his laziness provides you with a job, and that's all it is... just a job, also consider that with your ability, and being able to make so many meals while he does one table isn't exactly working like a team, a situation he could have under control if he had greater leadership and didn't just leave you with the work, making himself complacent and incompetent.

its clear in your post that you regard your ability quite highly, so you should be able to handle this guy like a piece of cake.

for management to not see and do something about a staff member who is clearly incompetent is frightening, and makes me question if they would ever recognise your potential for them, so I seriously doubt the guy is going anywhere soon without some drama along the way. if you cant get a good working relationship going then consider moving onto something else more rewarding.

Joined Jun 27, 2016
Any person that's been in the workplace a while has had to work for managers that are incompetent. It happens, a lot! It's very frustrating to work for a supervisor that you know shouldn't be a boss.

But one of the things you don't grasp when you're in your 20's is maturity. And sometimes doing what you're told (as long as it's not illegal or immoral) is what adults do, even though we don't like it.

Also, tattling on the boss to his boss never works out well. I'm a boss, and if one of my cooks or dishwashers complained to my boss about something, I would be PISSED. And it won't take long before that guy is gone out of my crew. It's also maturity not to badmouth people behind their backs. Because it gets around, and they find out, and that's not professional. 

If someone assaults you or is stealing from the company or doing something immoral, then by all means, report it. But if he can't cook or manage a kitchen, then either his bosses will figure it out on their own shortly, or you can look for another place to work. But if you've burned bridges and caused drama and jumped the chain of command to rat out your boss, then that's not going to help you with future positions.

What I'm saying is work hard and keep your gossipy mouth shut, even if the management sucks. Learn what you can, and then go somewhere else if you need to.   

Top Bottom