Cranberry Beans

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Sep 16, 2004.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    One of the farmers decided to raise pole beans....heirloom shell beans, I picked up 4# of plump cranberry beans...any ideas on what you'd make with them?
    I'm thinking summer ministroni...garlic, onions,green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, basil, BEANS, pasta.....some parmesan heels.....

or italians make a bean/pappradille dish

thoughts....I feel like I've hit the jackpot. Noone else is raising shell beans (except black beans) and they are so exceptional when fresh.
    One did raise favas and i got about 5# and another had edamames...guess we do have some but not many....

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I use them to make pasta e fagiole -- aka pasta fazool. :lips:

Saute chopped pancetta in a little olive oil (or chopped regular bacon, without any extra fat) until crisp. Remove from pot and drain. Add chopped onion and sliced garlic, saute until golden. Add shelled beans, ground pepper, water to cover; stew gently until beans are almost tender. Add more water, some salt, a little hot pepper flakes, and some short cut pasta (ditalina is great, but even elbows work fine). Cook until pasta is al dente (add more water if it gets too sludgy). Correct seasonings. Plate, sprinkle with pancetta, splash with olive oil, and serve with cheese on the side. (And of course, you can make this without any meat.)

It's just a shame that cranberry beans lose their beautiful markings when they cook. But, man, are they good! :D