Craft

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kylew, Nov 1, 2001.

1. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I had a sublime dining experience last night, dinner @Craft in NYC. We have a lot of excellent restaurants here in Gotham City but Craft is special. The menu, though simplified from it's earlier form, allows you to choose based on how things are prepared. There are meat, poultry and fish dishes that are grilled, sauted or braised. the same types of choices exist for both first courses ande desserts. The side dishes are a la carte and you can chhose as many as you want.

Our first courses were beautiful sardines and oysters (you get your choice of 3 kinds, we went with malpeques and welfleets). These were followed by braised beef short ribs and sauteed black bass. The sides we chose were gnochi and hen of the woods mushrooms. Everything was prepared as simply as possible and presented on plain white dishes. For dessert we went a little overboard; pumpkin ice cream (with pumkin seeds for crunch), pound cake with a sauterne zabaglione and biscotti (real ones, not the 2x4 sized ones). Man was this good eats! If anyone has been thinking about going, or is planning to come to NYC and looking for ideas, I can't recommend Craft highly enough:lips:

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi KyleW,
    Jil and I were there only a couple weeks ago!!!
    Really super food
    Check out my thread in this forum "my weekend in the big apple"
    I'm happy you enjoyed it :)
    cc

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I remember your post. I get to eat in all kinds of really good restaurants. This one stands apart. The short ribs were life altering. They melted in my mouth:) And that wine cooler! How many bottles of wine would you guess are in it?

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We also had the short ribs!!!They were boneless and the most tender I had ever eaten,If I remeber they were served with farror.

I'm sure there were a good amout of vino in the braising liquid :)
    cc

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    KyleW, I just reliezed when you were talking about you were refering to the wine celler that went across the lenght of the dining room.
    I read quickly and thought you were talking about how many bottles of wine they use to braise the short ribs:D

BTW, tonight we are having your white rasian semelina bread with dinner:)
    cc

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    CC Your second read was correct :) That is the coolest wine storage system I've seen.

I hope that either your toasting the bread or your dental insurance is paid up:D

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Dear Kyle

I liked very much that you think that a taste can actually change your life!!!
    I couldn't agree more.
    I showed my husband this thread, he totally agrees with both of you about Craft!
    I will visit this restaurant next month!

:)

8. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I know you won't be disapointed! And I am very happy that you are coming here to New York. Bring all your friends :lips:

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    That's it...We're going to have to come up with an excuse to eat at Craft. Did you have to wait a long time for a reservation?

10. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    We have found a nice mid-week approach to eating at popular restauants. We eat @6:00. I know it's not fashionable but it works well for us. The biggest advantage is that you can usually get a reservation within a day or two. The rooms tend to be about 75% full and are relatively quiet. The waitstaff is fresh. It also eliminates the "What do we do between 6:00 and 8:00" dilemma. I know this might be a challenging approach coming in from Connecticut:)

11. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Oh yeah, you just told me about that approach last weekend. How quickly I forget.

12. kimmie

kimmie

What's that? How to kill 2 hours before dinner?

:rolleyes:

13. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Kyle, this was very nice of you thank you!

I wish I could bring along my friends and my...olive trees but anyway.
    It seems that it good for me that I dine early because you won't believe at what time the majority dines in Greece...
    At 23:00!!!
    Strange country, right?

14. isa

isa

Now, a Craft Bar
    By FLORENCE FABRICANT

Tom Colicchio has opened Craftbar at 47 East 19th Street, next door to his restaurant Craft. Unlike the menu at the restaurant, the bar's casual Italian-American menu is not do-it-yourself. Even the sandwiches, like prosciutto with arugula and Parmesan, or veal with tuna and capers, have been decided by the chef, Marco Canora, who is also the chef de cuisine at Craft. Reservations are not accepted. In June, Mr. Colicchio plans to open Craftsteak in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The New York Times

15. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On the 26th of this very month a few of us "Cheftalkers" will be returning to Craft.

Me, ( I have dined there) Suzanne (She has dined there) Momoreg, M Brown, The Shroomgirl! and Foodnfoto...

KyleW and his lovely Linda wil be spendind the day with us and then there off to Peter Kumps for a Naming dinner.

Hey, Athenaeus...Please, we would love to have you join us also if it fits into your ajenda.

We will post notes on our adventure
    cc

16. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I didn't know fnf was coming! That's good news.

I'm glad we're going before Mr. Colicchio spreads himself too thin. (Why do chefs do that?) ($$$$$$$).

:)

17. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm looking forward to it!!! Good choice guys.

18. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Momoreg,

FnF told me she would'nt teach the online recipe development course if I didn't invite...Boy she a pushy one :)
    (only kidding)
    cc

19. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Oh, neat! Another person I want to meet (and eat with!).

Now, I have some related news: I just got a call from Marco Canora to come for an interview (for Craftbar)! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO excited! What a great way to start the year; I feel so lucky -- especially to finally meet so many of the wonderful people here! (Athenaeus, are you sure you couldn't just pop over here?? Pretty please. ;) )

20. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Great News Suzanne!!!

Good luck with your interview...We'll be rooting for ya :chef:
    cc