Craft or Babbo???

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by chef1x, Jan 10, 2003.

1. chef1x

chef1x

Ok, I realize this isn't really a fair or easy question, but I could really use some help. I've read all the other threads on the subject but am still torn!!

Inexplicably, I was able to get last minute reservations at both Craft and Babbo!

Now what!?

I have never been to either place. I'm a huge fan of Tom C's via Grammercy Tavern and though it is outrageously pricey, I felt it worthy of a special occasion.
    On the other hand, after seeing the reviews of Babbo, my mouth is watering. My dentist is around the corner, and since I was there yesterday, I checked out the "classic" tasting menu and it looks right up my alley, especially with the paired wines. Looks like a decent value as well.

I'm also a huge fan of tasting menus, so this is a natural, but I'm also told the tasting menu at Craft is very good. Has anyone tried this? There is only two of us, does that work at Craft?
    HELP!!!!

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chef1x,

One of the real attractions of Craft is the way Tom C offers his menu.
    I think it plays best with a party of four or more. This way you can really play around with all the catagories on the menu and share with your friends.

It's also a pretty cool room with it's tall and long glass encased wine celler(oxymoron I know) and the smart leather appointments on the sloping wall across from the celler.

Also excellent pin lighting.

As for Babbo,it's such a different experience and suits a two top really well. The tasting menu we had (pasta) was excellent,and I felt as far as New York prices are concered quite resonable.

I found the marrage of classic with innovation at babbo done with style and panache. I did have an issue with our server,but who dosen't (joke)

So for a two top.Babbo.......for a fun party parade of food,Craft
    cc

3. chef1x

chef1x

THAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU!!!:)
    Really, that helps to sum it up. I read a bunch of comments about the service at Babbo and Craft, but usually that is the least of my worries. My GF is a bartender/server so we have no prob dealing with even the worst of service.
    So, unless anyone can offer a better summation, Babbo's it is!

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Either way you can't lose! I finally got to eat at Babbo last week -- also the pasta tasting menu -- and it was some of the best food I've ever had. We were a group of 6, who wanted to test out the theory, Is pasta boring? Our answer was a resounding NO!

Then again, I've eaten at Craft with just my husband, and also with a group (from ChefTalk, actually :D ) and in all cases the food has always been superb. It's hard to go wrong there (except in over-ordering ;) ) because everything is so delicious.

Babbo is a warmer space, I think, better for an intimate dinner.

And Babbo is the tougher rez, so it that's your choice, enjoy!!

5. chef1x

chef1x

Thanks Suzanne!

Have you ever done the tasting menu at Craft? I'll have to come up with some other excuse to go there, like when I get a new job!
    I noticed that Craft has already left a message for me saying if we don't hear from you, we're giving your seat away! So funny how that's how these places do things on the phone. I like the "code" number they give you at Babbo.

Well, I hate to be a copy cat, but I'm in the mood for some awesome Italian!

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The first time my wife and I dined at Craft we did the tasting menu.

It was outstanding for taking complex ideas and delivering them with exceptinal simplicity.

Work is not the right word to use in regards to Craft,but I love "working"the menu to our taste.

7. chef1x

chef1x

Uh, Oh,

NOW you got me THINKING again:crazy: :roll:

Thanks CC

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Craft
    I've eaten on both sides once. I was pleasantly suprised with the (what some would call the casual menu) and from what I can remember the beers were very good( you'll have to ask Suzanne what they were).
    It was a surprise to find myself there a second night with a non foodie who got us in. We did the tasting menu(reasonably priced, as I remember), it was outstanding! little dissapointing for the focus of our evening was not on the food. My best friend from childhood (packaging engineer) would not know the difference between a chocolate or a real truffle.
    Is it just me, or do foodies enjoy food more with other foodies?
    ( although I do dislike dining with the criticle foodie)
    Either way Brooklyn, I don't think you'll go wrong.
    Ok, who is taking me to Babbo when I come to town?

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jeff,

I will :chef:

10. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Okay, Jeff, if CC takes you to Babbo, I'll take you to Otto, Mario's new pizzaria/enoteca that just opened. No rezzies, so we won't even have to plan months ahead! ;)

11. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    You guys are ON!! I'm going to look at airfares now!!!
    Hey! I feel like a yankee today. Temp fell from 76 Mon. to 38 today and it's snowing in big D. First and probably only for the year. Fireplace on, chili on, grill on, football on. Shiner cold. It just doesn't get any better.
    Does NY still have a football team? hey,hey,hey the big Tuna is in big D. Watch out.