Cracker crust

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cook du jour, Apr 26, 2002.

1. cook du jour

cook du jour

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The goal was a cracker crust pizza, so I headed off to the web to try to locate a recipe. The pickin's were few and the most reliable called for a pound of flour, a pound of butter and a pound of cheese.

This is a dough? No liquid? A POUND of butter? But hey, what did I know.

The results weren't pretty to say the least.

So, oh learned ones, do you have a good recipe for a cracker crust that can be used for pizza? Hints? Techniques? Admonitions?

Clearly, I'll try anything. <grin>

2. kimmie

kimmie

You'll have more luck if you use the search words pizza crust :rolleyes:

3. shawtycat

shawtycat

4. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Frankly, when I read the subject matter, I thought you wanted a traditional cheesecake crust...:D

5. w.debord

w.debord

I think Wolfgang Puck has one of the best thin crust pizza recipes around. I lent my book out, perhaps someone else could post it to help?

6. cook du jour

cook du jour

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks everyone!

I had searched under pizza crusts, but those all included yeast and I understood a cracker crust would not include that.

Jodi, the link you provided was excellent.

I'm after that wonderful crust that crackles when you bite into it and leaves nice, buttery flakes in your mouth, along with a little crunch.

Back to the ovens!

Jim

7. kimmie

kimmie

Here's the Wolgang Puck recipe:

1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup cool water
    1 envelope active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water
    3 cups all-purpose flour

In a small mixing bowl, combine the salt, honey, olive oil, and the cool water. Mix well. In a separate bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let proof for 10 minutes.

Place the flour in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, slowly pour the honey mixture through the feed tube, then pour in the dissolved yeast. Process until the dough forms a ball around the blade.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in a buttered bowl and allow the dough to rest, covered, for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Form each piece into a smooth ball, flatten slightly, and place on a plate. Cover each plate with a damp towel and refrigerate. One hour before baking, let the dough come to room temperature.

Lightly flour a work surface. Flatten each ball of dough into a 6-inch circle; use your fingertips to make outeredge slightly thicker than the center. Turn the dough over and repeat. Lift the dough from the work surface and stretch the edges, working clockwise to form a circle 7 to 8 inches in diameter. Repeat with the other 3 pieces. Garnish pizza as desired.

(Note to Wendy: This one was from The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous cookbook, p. 112)