Crab meat cheese cake for EMTCHEF

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Oct 26, 2001.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    EMTCHEF,you can add shrimp lobster ETC if you like.
    1, 9 inch tart

For the crust
    3/4 cup pecans
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5 T butter (cold)
    3 T ice water
    For the filling
    1/2 onion finely diced
    4 oz lump crab meat
    8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
    1/3 cup sour cream
    2 eggs
    TT kosher salt and white pepper
    TT hot sauce
    For the meuniere sauce
    1 lemon peeled and 1/4rd
    1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup hot sauce
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1 # unsalted cold butter cut into cubes
    s&p to taste
    For the garnish
    sliced mixed wild mushrooms
    3 T soft unsalted butter
    24 peekitoe crab claws (jonuh)

Grind the pecans,flour,salt in a food processor till fine,pop in a bowl,add the butter.work in the butter till you have a meal the size of a pea,toss in the ice water.The dought will be fairly crumbly.roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about 1/8 inch thick.lightly grease your tart pan.work the crust into the pan as you would a standard chhese cake.bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
    Filling: cook the onions in a bit of butter till tender,add the crab meat and cook just till heated.set aside using a mixing bowl with a paddle,blend the cream cheese till smooth,add the sour cream and the eggs one at a time,fold in the crab meat mixture,s&p and hot sauce.pour into the crust. bake at 300 for about 30 minutes until set.
    Meuniere sauce:
    in a sauce pan combine the lemon ,worst sauce,hot sauce and cream and reduce over low heat,stir consistently when it becomes thick and syrupy add the butter one piece at a time take off the heat season with salt and pepper,strain trought a fine stainer and set aside and keep warm.
    For the Garnish:
    ine two pans saute the shrooms and warm the crab claws,fold the shrooms into the warm meuniere sauce,slice the cake and garnish each scile with three crab claws and a little sauce.

the foundation of this recipe is from the Palace cafe in new orleans. I just added some of my own little touches
    I hope you enjoy it
    cc

2. nancya

nancya

Sounds terrific Cape Chef. I think I will make it for next week's moon ceremony.

Would you serve it warm or at room temp?

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    EMTCHEF,
    Did I waste my time?
    cc

4. w.debord

w.debord

I made a copy of your cheesecake Cape Chef (hope you don't mind), waste your time....I don't think so.

Once upon a time I had a layered salmon & dill cheesecake that was on a corn chip crust at a 'Taste of' event that was wonderful. Philly Cream Cheese put out several similar recipes in their cookbooks (that looked great), but I haven't seen any published anywhere else.

I really think savory cheesecakes are very cool, but it's hard to get anyone interested (chefs no, managers yes). If you were to bake them in half pans, then cool and slice they'd be nice passed on a h.d. platter, like quiche.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WDebord,

I'm happy you like the recipe, and I like the one you mentioned with the salmon and corn chips.

It's true about savoury cheesecakes....they don't fly out of the kitchen but once you have tried them most really enjoy them.

If you try the recipe let me know how it turns out.
    Thanks
    cc

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Would you believe I ran this in the cafe today, subbing surimi for the crab and domestic mushrooms for the wilds... sold like crazy. Before you start ribbing me for using surimi... entrees are $3.25! :look: Thanks for the dish!

7. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mmmmm...

Sounds yummy!

My parents are celebratign their anniversary this next week -- and this sounds like the perfect way to melt their hearts and begin a romantic evening...

Thanks CC!

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thats sweet Lynne,

Let us know what they think of it.
    Jim,Thats funny.
    I hope your guests enjoyed it
    cc