Crab Gratin

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by someday, Aug 14, 2017.

1. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thinking about serving a crab gratin on the menu this fall. How would you guys execute it? Looking to kind of crowd source some methods.

I don't want it to have cheese, and I don't want it to be a "dip" like you'd serve with crackers. I was thinking of lightly dressing the crab with a bit of creme fraiche, citrus, maybe some sweated shallot, fennel and red bell peppers. Then maybe make a kind of savory sabayon--citrus, white wine--maybe a touch of sugar. Fold in some whipped cream, then nappe across the crab mix in a single serve cast iron gratin.

In the oven for a few, just to bubble and get hot, maybe some color and blistering on the glacage.

What do you guys think? Needs texture maybe...thoughts?

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sounds a bit too fussy for me, but if you choose to institute this, you might try a different name.
    The French word "Gratin" usually infers cheese and breadcrumbs.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about adding corn to the crab mix for a little texture? You could also steep the cobs in the wine for a subtle flavor addition (and the sweetness you are thinking about without having to resort to sugar) to the sabayon or in the cream before whipping. then proceed with glacage.

4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love corn and crab together, my only hesitation is that corn will be going out of season soon and this is for a fall menu...so more late september to end october. I know it's possible to get corn just about any time of year but I try to stay as seasonal as possible.

The idea is intriguing though. I bet that thickened corn juice would make a good base for a glacage, stick with the white wine, some eggs, and corn juice...I wonder how long I could get local corn up here...might be worth a look.

I wasn't going to add lots of sugar to the sabayon, just more to round out the taste and enhance the browning while in the oven.

Thanks for the response.

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, not being sure of your location, I was hesitant on corn for that very reason, but here in CA i can get great sweet corn from just down the road as late as October.

6. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm jealous. I'm up in New England and we literally just got our local sweet corn today. It'll last about 4 weeks...

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Slough house corn?.......

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh yeah!

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Lots of nice produce out there.

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The little stall that used to sell just bags of corn has turned into a real open air market produce market. Great stuff of all kinds. Actually has taste, ripened/ picked when ready. Good prices too. I like buying from the farmers. Good for them, good for me.

11. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There was a farm stand that I used to go to on Jackson somewhere between Sunrise blvd and Rancho Murietta.

12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's the one. Davis Ranch at Sloughhouse.