CPM S35VN vs Ginsan (Silver3) Petty/Paring knife?

Joined Sep 10, 2018
Joined Nov 18, 2010
Don't buy a knife because of the steel type, but because you know who is the maker and are confident about his heat treatment. Ginsang isn't known for being chippy, so something went very wrong. As for a petty, due to the little length the contact area with the board is small, so frequent sharpening is to be expected. I would above all look for sufficient length and easy sharpening. My preferred stainless petty is a 180mm 'slicer' from the Misono 440 series.

Joined Sep 10, 2018
Don't buy a knife because of the steel type, but because you know who is the maker and are confident about his heat treatment. Ginsang isn't known for being chippy, so something went very wrong. As for a petty, due to the little length the contact area with the board is small, so frequent sharpening is to be expected. I would above all look for sufficient length and easy sharpening. My preferred stainless petty is a 180mm 'slicer' from the Misono 440 series.
Sorry tried to replie once but that aparently didn't work.
Thanks for the tip. I thought pulver steels aren't that susceptible for bad hardening treatments? I know that the hardening Process especiallywith Ginsang is very critical.
My ginsang isn't that chippy only when I filet and get caught in a bone thats a reason why a want a small knife for moments where I could chip out the big guy.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Phil Wilson makes a very very high-end filet knife made of s30v, practically identical to s35vn, and the maker really knows Powdered-Metal (PM) alloys very well. As Benuser indicated, if you think the maker is reliable, and you are OK with the geometry, then go for it. These alloys are very strong, fish bone shouldn't harm them, and they will hold an edge better than Ginsan.

Joined Jan 4, 2011

Now if it were me ... and I'm just thinking out loud here ... conversationally speaking and all ... I'm not concerned what kinda steele it's made of. I'm thinking that there is NO way I'm dropping 153,81 € for a petty knife.

Joined Sep 10, 2018

Now if it were me ... and I'm just thinking out loud here ... conversationally speaking and all ... I'm not concerned what kinda steele it's made of. I'm thinking that there is NO way I'm dropping 153,81 € for a petty knife.
Why not I? I Want to understand because all the japanes Petty knifes I saw were in the same price range ceep in mind that I am not a professional so I won't wear it out that fast and can't lose it in a big professional Kitchen.

Joined Sep 10, 2018
Phil Wilson makes a very very high-end filet knife made of s30v, practically identical to s35vn, and the maker really knows Powdered-Metal (PM) alloys very well. As Benuser indicated, if you think the maker is reliable, and you are OK with the geometry, then go for it. These alloys are very strong, fish bone shouldn't harm them, and they will hold an edge better than Ginsan.
Thanks for your thoughts but I don't want a real filet knife because I dont fillet thing often it happens occasionally so I just need a tool not the tool. So I thought of a petty/paring knife that can suport my chef knife and when I am not filleting (which is most of the time) serve as somthing else because filet knifes are cinde of hard to use for other jobs than filleting.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
WHY? ...

Because it's a petty knife. The knife I would get ... and I'm just saying ME ... MY opinion ... is only 28.88 € ... or $35 usd.

A petty knife is not my "go to" "use all the time" "can't be without" "earn my living with" knife. It's just a tool in the bag that is nice to have but I'm not gonna be busted without.

153,81 € or $186.43 usd. is a lot of payout for a petty knife.

Heres my choice:
tojiro-shirogami-kasumi-petty-120mm-31.png.jpeg

Tojiro Shirogami Kasumi Petty 120mm ... $35.00​

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshkape12.html

Joined Sep 10, 2018
If you want to spend big money on a petty, want stainless that takes a sharp edge and holds it forever thanks to high-tech alloy, here is your knife. I have one myself. and it doubles as my steak knife. and chicken butcherer as it actually laughs at chicken bone:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co.../gesshin-kagero-150mm-powdered-steel-petty-nt

Otherwise, something like Iceman's choice
Thanks that looks really good and very much what I am looking for. Only have to finde out how to get one in europe.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Something in blue #1 would be special also, holds an edge very well, and gets sharper. Blue1 is also somewhat stain resistant for carbon. There is are European equivalents of the Kagero, just don't recall the names right now.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Aren't carbon steels on the chippier side?

It depends on the maker, the heat treat and the tempering. Stainless (like vg10) can be very chippy. Personally my favorite combo is stainless clad carbon like White #1, #2, Blue #1, #2 and AS.

Top Bottom