COVID19 Keeping Customers Safe

Joined May 25, 2015
Not hearing anything here about what we are doing to try and keep our customers safe. Only complaints about how business is down. The largest outbreak in the Country is in New Rochelle, NY that is said to have originated from exposure to a caterer who had an infected employee.

So are we paying much more attention to cleaning and sanitizing, in particular tables, chairs, menus, door handles and restrooms? That means not walking around with a bottle of Windex and an old kitchen towel! Tables as well as chairs and menus should be wiped down with a disinfectant (I like to use Windex Multi-surface Disinfectant / cleaner) while the customers are watching every time you turn a table.

Are we paying attention to our employees so we can be on top of any that appear sick? You can't wait for them to tell you because they never will. No work = no pay.

Do you have tables so close together that the customers become close intimate friends? Nobody want's to breathe germs from strangers sitting on top of them. Better to 86 a few tables than to not have customers at all.

Post a sign near the front door (as well as a statement on your website) letting customers know you are aware and actually trying to do something about it. Say that because of the Corona Virus situation, we are going the extra mile with constantly cleaning and disinfecting tables, chairs, menus and anything else customers may come in contact with.

Maybe with a little extra care you can put yourself above the other restaurants where it's business as usual.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
That's a particularly sticky wicket with our American economic system. Very few restaurants offer sick pay, and most come down on the side of wanting to see your death certificate if you say you can't come in. With little in the way of a social safety net and few other options, most will try to come in sick since most live paycheck to paycheck. A good majority of American families can't afford a $400 emergency.

All I got is this:

1) Harp on hand washing. Be a Nazi about it!
2) Sanitize everything, and frequently.
3) Figure out how to keep sick people at home. This will probably be impossible. A lot of folks with COVID19 don't know they have it and don't show any symptoms. You'll be much more likely to notice a sick employee before they interact with customers though than ID'ing sick customers before they interact with employees.

Joined Dec 13, 2018
We are actively doing everything you stated. Sanitizing everything from the front doors to the menus all day long. Mandatory hand wash for servers after each table interaction, sanitizing bowling/bocce balls, etc. The customers see and appreciate the effort. I feel bad for my team though, this next few weeks will be brutal to their wallets. I never thought I'd be happy that both my PM pasta guys went on vacation at the same time but it is providing a great opportunity to cross train and give these guys the chance to grow while keeping their bills paid.

Joined May 25, 2015
I've had another thought. Thinking about running copies of the menu off on the copy machine and giving those to customers. They can either keep them or we can throw them away when they are done ordering. This way it's less work for us wiping down menus and customers know that nobody has handled them.

Might even see how asking customers if they want a menu works. We get lots of repeat customers who probably know the menu by heart or always order the same things.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Well.... just got laid off today, as well as most of the other staff. Even those in key positions are down to 3-4 hrs/day. Saw it coming, all week the cancellations kept coming in, the clipboards are all full of red x’s. heard most of the hotels are down to 28-30% occupancy too.

Money wise I can ride this out for about a month after that, I dunno...

Joined May 25, 2015
Yall are trippin
Why do you say that? You're not taking this seriously are you.

ShelteredBugg1 said:
I think my kitchen manager is trying to get the owner to close down the shop because of the epidemic, he says that the government is debating on if we shall receive a stimulus package based on people not working or some ish like that idk i was cutting carrots
Oh, I guess you are now.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
That sucks, foodpump. Hopefully we'll get some degree of normalcy within the next few weeks. It looks like here in the US there will be some kind of stimulus/aid package to help workers that have been laid off, etc.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Stimulus package.....
I don’t understand....
right now the stimulus is focused on shutting down airports, shutting down large gatherings like sporting events, concerts, trade shows, etc, and, I’m guessing in the-not-to-near future, large campuses and schools. Gawd help the hotels and airlines....

I was laid off because there was no business, the bread and butter of the catering co.I work for is corporate, most offices have gone into hibernation mode and are relying on tele-conferencing to get their work done. Large events like weddings, etc., which make up the rest of the business are postponed until the ban on large gatherings has been lifted.

The only single positive thing is that today—Friday the 13th, marks the start of a two week spring break for the majority of all schools, which means the odds of little Suzy or first year College student Billy bringing home the virus greatly reduced.

O.t.o.h., I’ve got a lot of small projects at home to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
A whole lot of folks are going to have that experience, I expect. It’s very sad for the economy and might be devastating to individuals and families. I hope things improve for you and all soon.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Stimulus package.....
I don’t understand....
Just a few hours ago Congress and The Great Pumpkin finally agreed on a bill that will pay sick/emergency pay to people out of work or laid off d/t CoV. The specifics are sparse on the ground and given the efficiency of all things related to this clown caravan I'm not sure what kind of relief will come but hopefully it will be of some help.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
All I know is this........compared to the 2019-20 flu statistics in the US published by the CDC, the world wide Covid19 numbers are far less. Yet, the level of panic and the level of government response is heretofore unprecedented.

Never before in my 6.5 decades on this planet have I ever heard of American Citizens being quarantined on US Military installations. In seven States, the National Guard has been federalized and deployed. That means the National Guard in those states are under the control of the Federal Government, not their individual states. Why?

There are about 1,600 reported cases in the US with 41 deaths. Why the overkill response? This is what I want to know. Here's some context. In the 2017-18 flu season, which was one of the worst on record in the US, approximately 900,000 Americans were hospitalized. The CDC estimates between 61,000 and 79,000 people died due to the flu and complications caused by the flu. That's nearly a million reported casualties over a 6 month period and not a single soul was quarantined on a military installation, not a single National Guard unit was deployed, there were no travel restrictions, not a single school or public event was cancelled.

I'm not given to conspiracy theories and all that jazz. But, there is something afoot here that we are not being told about and I want to know what that is.

I hope this lunacy passes quickly so everyone can get back to work and get back to living their lives in relative peace.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 8, 2009
Foodpump, What are they saying in Canada to help out the Businesses and unemployed ???? Vancouver has to be hit hard because of it depending on tourism. It also has been a popular destination for the i5 cities from Seattle North. I can't see anyone going either way during this. I could see this Virus being a 6 month economic disaster. It takes a few weeks to shut things down, then you're in the middle or worst part of the virus and then it takes time to restart the economy. Nothing start or stops on a dime. Most middle class Americans are living paycheck to paycheck saying a $600 expense would be a hardship. The thing I would worry about is when it hits the homeless. Places like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and LA will be breeding grounds for this virus. This is just the beginning of something we have never seen before. We just had all the schools canceled in Washington State. Oregon did the same........Take care and keep the family healthy.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 8, 2009
Never before in my 6.5 decades on this planet have I ever heard of American Citizens being quarantined on US Military installations. In seven States, the National Guard has been federalized and deployed. That means the National Guard in those states are under the control of the Federal Government, not their individual states. Why?
This way you have every city in every state doing the something. You don't need some people in some cities skipping down the street while other cities are in Quarantine. It looks like what China did worked. Just think if they didn't. What we are doing now may be and may even look to be over kill. If you don't do it now you can't do it when half of your population is dead in the street.

What would you do with 330 million people and a Virus that didn't have any way for you to prevent or cure. We have flu shots for the yearly flu and look how many die. Just think of how many will die with no prevention. You'll find out if everything we are doing was right after this is over. I would rather have them go over board with keeping our families safe now than finding out we didn't do enough in the beginning.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Thank you people are trippin
Can you expand on this statement?

To the best of my knowledge ”tripping” would a psychedelic experience, ie an acid trip. If this is so, please elaborate .

It’s not the virus anyone’s worried about, it’s the Gov’ts response to the virus, and if you have any experience or foresight, you will comprehend that a recession is very probable.

So, please, elaborate on your statement.

Joined May 25, 2015
To the best of my knowledge ”tripping” would a psychedelic experience, ie an acid trip. If this is so, please elaborate .
That's the way I took it. But who knows, maybe to this generation it's a compliment. :cool:

Joined Jul 13, 2012
My local brewery has removed 25% of seating, coasters are gone and CDC posters about hand washing are posted in the bathrooms. As far as cash goes this gives new meaning to the term "Filthy Lucre".

Joined Dec 23, 2004
All I know is this........compared to the 2019-20 flu statistics in the US published by the CDC, the world wide Covid19 numbers are far less. Yet, the level of panic and the level of government response is heretofore unprecedented.

There are about 1,600 reported cases in the US with 41 deaths. Why the overkill response? This is what I want to know. Here's some context. In the 2017-18 flu season, which was one of the worst on record in the US, approximately 900,000 Americans were hospitalized. The CDC estimates between 61,000 and 79,000 people died due to the flu and complications caused by the flu. That's nearly a million reported casualties over a 6 month period and not a single soul was quarantined on a military installation, not a single National Guard unit was deployed, there were no travel restrictions, not a single school or public event was cancelled.
I'm not trying to start a fight nor am I saying you're all wrong, but this is unlike the flu in several ways. The first being that there is not treatment for it whatsoever. With the flu there are several anti-viral meds that are very effective against. Next, there is no vaccine against is unlike the flu where the vaccine is pretty safe and effective. Lastly it's much more virulent and spreads much more easily than our common strains of flu.

Remember the word novel in front of coronavirus! We know very little about it. We don't know what the mortality rate will ultimately be nor can we be sure at all that spring weather will stop it like it would the flu.

Apropos of nothing, in your 6.5 decades of life there's probably never been such an incompetent leader as we have now. That's going to add to the misery we're going through with CoV.

Top Bottom