couscous anyone?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by lavender luv, Jan 28, 2004.

1. lavender luv

lavender luv

so.....
    after a recent revamp of the storeroom, a lot of overstock was discovered...
    anyone have any ideas for these products???

couscous(40 kg)
    red/green thai curry paste(44lbs)
    green peppercorns([email protected] gr)
    refried beans([email protected])
    cranberry sauce([email protected])
    mango chutney([email protected])

i really need help with the couscous
    thanks,
    drowning in overstock

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How about a fusion tagine? Asian flavors: I'm thinking of a nice sauce with curry and the chutney, and the cranberries too- mingling with the couscous grains. Lamb would be really good, or chicken.

As for the frijoles.... not in that dish! :eek:

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What type of Cous Cous is it?

Israel, Italian or is it the very fine type?

You can toast your pasta, cool and freeze in air tight bags to use as you go. BTW, check the experation on some of these items, I mean 44# of red and green curry pasta?

You can make many dishes with the Cous Cous, Tanjin being my favorite way. Use it as a starch for all types of entrees, use it in soups, grind it fine and use it to thicken items. I will do a search for you on cous cous. The peppercorns are in a brine ( I assume) so they should be fine. Peppercorn sauce is the obvious way to use them (if from madagasgar be aware as there a bit hotter)

Depending on what type of food operation you work in will help you dictate some ideas. Are you stuck on a set menu? or do you change your menus daily? Any special?

Cranberry mayo with smoked turkey and gorg crostini
    Smithfield ham with cranberry relish and cornichons and brie.

Check the seal on the chutney (major greys?)if you see any discoloration at all, toss them and suck up the loss.

The most important thing here is to really study your purchasing program,set pars and excell work sheets.

4. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I'm sure you've done this already, but just in case you haven't, cook up a little of your couscous and taste it. Couscous, like pasta, lasts for a long time, but it doesn't last forever.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like lavender luv inherited this stuff from someone else.

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Yes, but it's still a good idea to check the system so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

6. lavender luv

lavender luv

inherited? more of a curse.........

i've come up with a table d"haute menu that will hopefully work.

any sweet ideas for frozen blueberries?

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hmmm you can make a vanilla couscous custard with blueberries. I make it with strawberries but blueberries might work fine.:)

Lately I have replaced rice as a side-dish with couscous maybe because I have had enough of rice and I have observed that couscous is great for experiments since it seems very flexible with sauces, spices etc.

8. chef from va

chef from va

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    blueberry sorbet :lips:
    possibly pair with a vanilla creme anglease

grilled duck breast with blueberry-honey compote :lips:
    pair with your couscous ;)

blueberry chutney
    i just pulled that one out of my back pocket but it sounds good

blueberry shooter for your bar (if you have one)
    blueberry simple syrup vanilla vodka and some 151 :lips:

veal tenderloin canepe with caramelized onions and blueberries
    i made this for my garde manger final VERY GOOD :lips:
    veal tenderloin seared with kosher salt and grains of paradise, saint andre cheese, toasted thin slice of french bread, caramelized vidallia onions and blueberries.

blueberry creme brulee :lips:
    put the blueberries in the bottom of your ramekin or boul and fill with custard bake in water bath caramelize and top with more berries and creme fraiche quenells :bounce:

just some rough ideas for you. i hope i have been some help.:chef:

9. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    It's probably as lowbrow as you can get, but my favorite use for frozen blueberries is blueberry buckle (coffee cake) from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (1956 edition).

10. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Who cares if it's lowbrow? Buckles are COMFORT FOOD. :D As are crisps, crumbles, grunts, slumps, and all those good fruit-topped-with-some-version-of-dough desserts.

In fact, I was going to suggest good old blueberry pie. :lips:

11. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    blueberry strudel with an sweet orange cream cheese filling...blueberry lemon verbena/grass lemon zest compote with brioche french toast...blueberry sorbet
    I just made green curry coconut shrimp last week, dried fruit couscous with loads of spices and a kick of chipotle is great under braised meats. If it lasts until the warm seasons I like couscous salad ....It cooks so quickly what a great sub in when the kitchen is under fire.