Countertop or free-standing oven for a studio apartment recommendations

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by rittenremedy, Feb 18, 2019.

1. an actually sharp knife

2. a decent skillet

3. an oven

4. a scale or at least a measuring spoon, come on people

5. anything else, leave a comment

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rittenremedy

rittenremedy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I may be moving to a studio that doesn't have a built in oven. Nothing I haven't done before, but I've become fond of my dutch oven being IN the oven. Seriously, my last pot of chili was the best I've ever eaten. I used to have a Breville Smart Oven, lost in the move. Are there any other options I should be looking out for? Any countertop ovens or free standing ovens large enough for a 14-x-11-inch pot?

Or, is there another way to get that lovely baked texture and flavor that doesn't rely on a full-sized oven? I've done the same recipe at a simmer and it's nowhere as rich and developed.

2. rittenremedy

rittenremedy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    UPDATE

I got to check out the potential new place, and it's beautiful. Tiny and not without flaws, but, oh man, so many less flaws than where I live now. I want in. Some major fears were relieved, but I learned another issue with the kitchen: the cook top only fits a 1-quart pot and a 3-quart pot. Who even owns a 1-quart pot?

Any suggestions??

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    and I do have a 1 quart pot.

you'd probably benefit from a single hob induction burner. the duxtop 1800 watt unit is probably the leading bang for the buck right now.

I got one for my daughter for Christmas this past season.

rittenremedy likes this.
  5. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    I'll second the Duxtop, it's a great unit!
    Make sure you have a good 15A breaker (@~120v), mine actually draws 15.25 Amps.
    It's also a nice secondary for keeping SS mixing bowls warm (ie: rice paper wraps)

6. rittenremedy

rittenremedy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I actually used to own one and can confirm it's excellent! Unfortunately, the apartment comes with a cuisinart 2 burner induction, and I got a faulty one. Still waiting on a replacement. It's been three weeks!