could a CHEF answer these questions for me?

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by chefmason, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chefmason

chefmason

Exp:
    At home cook
    1. What type of education do i need?
    2. What type of training do you need?
    3. What is the salary range?
    4. What kind of hours do you work?
    5. How do you like your job?
    6. What future trends do you see that will affect you job, as a Chef, in the future?

THANK YOU MUCH!

this is just for a report

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ah, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifhomework!
    Business law, personnel management, inventory control, marketing, advertising, finance, oh, and it is nice if you know how to cook!
    Plumbing, electrical, HVAC, carpentry, bookkeeping, labor relations, computer technology, oh, cooking or culinary is also helpful. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif
    Low end? Probably more than $24k. High end? Um, $36k-$60k, benefits vary widely. That's after, um maybe, 10-20 years?
    About 20 hours per week longer than anyone else, first in, last to leave.
    Love it
    The way the current economy is going, people will quit eating out, except for fast food, QSR, and casual, none of which employ anything remotely resembling a chef, let alone a cook, well, excepting corporate headquarters and the main processing plants. Food assemblers, making $10-$15/hour will be the big demand.

There will always be chefs at the top of the heap, i.e. Batali, Keller, etc., but they will never exceed 0.01% of the food service industry.

I hope you were asking my opinion, right?

chefmason likes this.
  3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I agree with Pete on all counts.

4. chefmason

chefmason

Exp:
    At home cook
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! HELPED A MILLION!