cottage cheese in coconut gravy (indian)

Joined Jun 25, 2001
hi chefs,
i am sharing one of my favourite recipies from my recipe chest>

Cottage cheese in coconut gravy:

250 gms cottage cheese( in the form of a solid block).
1 1/2 teacup coconut milk
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil refined
oil for deep frying too.

To be ground into paste:
3 green chillies
1 medium onion
25mm (1") piece ginger

for topping:
chopped cilantro leaves

Method:

1.cut the cottage cheese into cubes and deep fry in oil to a light pink colour. remove and place in luke warm water.
2.add cornflour to the coconut milk.
3. heat i tbsp oil and add cumin seeds and wait till they crackle, then add the ground paste and fry for 2 mins.
4. add the coconut milk and cook for 10 minutes. remove from heat add cottage cheese and salt.
5.return to fire and cook for a few mins. sprinkle cilantro leaves and serve.

serve hot with parathas ( indian tortillas)

i hope you all love it......... :D

Joined Jun 25, 2001
hey i however wanted to ask you all, do we get cottage cheese hardened in the market.........i make mine at home.
usually i have seen the one in the market is yogurt like texture.. :rolleyes:

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Thanks SweetDreams,

I make paneer at home. How do you make Cottage cheese?

Joined Jun 25, 2001
kimme
actually the recipe calls for paneer.......isn't the english translation called cottage cheese :confused:
then what is panner called in english? and please do tell me how do you get it to be solid when u make it at home? :eek:

Joined Mar 13, 2001
SweetDreams,

I just saw your request. Let me get back to you on this.

:)

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Here's the recipe for paneer.

7 1/2 cups full fat (whole) milk
About 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice

Bring the milk to the boil in a heavy saucepan. As soon as it begins to froth, add 3 tablespoons of the lemon or lime juice, stir it in and turn off the heat. The curds should separate from the whey -- if they don't do so completely, bring the milk to the boil again and add another tablespoon or so of lemon juice. Stir and turn the heat off.

Line a srainer with a large, doubled-up piece of cheesecloth. Set the strainer over a large bowl. Pour the contents of the saucepan into the strainer. Let the whey drain away. Lift up the 4 corners of the cheesecloth. Using one of the corners tie up the cheese in the cheesecloth into a bundle. Put this bundle on a board set in the sink. Put a plate on the bundle. Now put a weight -- such as a medium-sized pan filled with water -- on top of the plate. Remove the weight after 3-4 minutes. Untie the bundle. The cheese is ready. It can be refrigerated if necessary.

P.S.: The cheese (paneer) is very like the Italian mozzarella--the one made with buffalo milk.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Ah, Kimmie. Thanks. This starts to make more sense....

Top Bottom