Cost for 100

Joined Aug 23, 2017
A friend has asked me to cater her 50th birthday party. She is planning to buy all of the ingredients for the dishes she wants. She is planning 6 or 7 finger foods, and a taco bar, for 100 people. All I will be out is my time and energy. So, I'm not sure what to charge. Help!

Joined Aug 23, 2017
Do it for free. Make it your gift to her.
That is a good idea and I did consider it. But I have to travel 8 hours round trip to this party, plus buy a special outfit, not to mention the 13 plus hours of labor.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I give my energy for free and charge $150 an hour for my time. For you, this is how it goes. You tell your friend you'll do it for $200. Then she says "holy crap" I'll call a caterer, thanks friend. She calls a caterer and they say it will be $1500. She say's to them "Holy Crap" I have a friend that will do it for $200. Just sit back and enjoy a beer while this is going on......

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Finger foods are the bane of my existence. I'd charge her the $1500, ;). Seriously though, if it's a "friend" give her a 10-15% discount. If its a good friend... $200 seems fair enough... taco bar is pretty straight forward. My friends ask me to cater smallish parties all the time... they never accept more than a nominal discount because they know from my stories exactly how much work goes into it. Also, the next time we're sharing a glass (*cough* four bottles) of wine they know they'd hear about the awful friend who just doesn't value my time or my work :lol:

Joined Jun 23, 2015
I agree with Iceman, do it for free if she is a good friend. If not charge for two days plus expense. If you are catering I would think your chef uniform would be all you need.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
That is a good idea and I did consider it. But I have to travel 8 hours round trip to this party, plus buy a special outfit, not to mention the 13 plus hours of labor.

Wouldn't you be buying a new frock and attending anyway?
Having worked most holidays and weekends my entire life I have a very short list of those I count as friends (and learned early on to not get into the whole money situation).
Need an event cake?
My schedule is full but I can refer you to another who's work I admire.
Catering?
Sure... let me call up a few mutual friends and we will have a blast in the kitchen...gratis...Happy Bday!
Just IMO tho...some good answers given.

mimi

Joined Jun 23, 2015
With the outfit and travel expense that's below minimum wage, Hard way to make a living.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
If you are happy with $250 that is fine but the problem is then other friends want you to do the same and then it becomes a real issues.

Exactly my point.
Not that I didn't want to give everyone a cut but I was working as a FT nurse and only did a few select events or cakes.
When you work nites you have to make those precious sleeping hours count.
So if the $$$ was not there I was sleep deprived (and cranky) for nada.

mimi

Latest posts

Top Bottom