Cost for 100

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by Chellh, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Chellh

Chellh

Exp:
    6 years
    A friend has asked me to cater her 50th birthday party. She is planning to buy all of the ingredients for the dishes she wants. She is planning 6 or 7 finger foods, and a taco bar, for 100 people. All I will be out is my time and energy. So, I'm not sure what to charge. Help!

2. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do it for free. Make it your gift to her.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. Chellh

Chellh

Exp:
    6 years
    That is a good idea and I did consider it. But I have to travel 8 hours round trip to this party, plus buy a special outfit, not to mention the 13 plus hours of labor.

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I give my energy for free and charge $150 an hour for my time. For you, this is how it goes. You tell your friend you'll do it for $200. Then she says "holy crap" I'll call a caterer, thanks friend. She calls a caterer and they say it will be $1500. She say's to them "Holy Crap" I have a friend that will do it for $200. Just sit back and enjoy a beer while this is going on......

5. bohemiankitchenseattle

bohemiankitchenseattle

Exp:
    3 years private chef, brand new to catering (2 events)
    Finger foods are the bane of my existence. I'd charge her the $1500, ;). Seriously though, if it's a "friend" give her a 10-15% discount. If its a good friend... $200 seems fair enough... taco bar is pretty straight forward. My friends ask me to cater smallish parties all the time... they never accept more than a nominal discount because they know from my stories exactly how much work goes into it. Also, the next time we're sharing a glass (*cough* four bottles) of wine they know they'd hear about the awful friend who just doesn't value my time or my work :lol:

Chellh likes this.
  6. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with Iceman, do it for free if she is a good friend. If not charge for two days plus expense. If you are catering I would think your chef uniform would be all you need.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Wouldn't you be buying a new frock and attending anyway?
    Having worked most holidays and weekends my entire life I have a very short list of those I count as friends (and learned early on to not get into the whole money situation).
    Need an event cake?
    My schedule is full but I can refer you to another who's work I admire.
    Catering?
    Sure... let me call up a few mutual friends and we will have a blast in the kitchen...gratis...Happy Bday!
    Just IMO tho...some good answers given.

mimi

Chellh likes this.
  8. Chellh

Chellh

Exp:
    6 years
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided on $250. :)

9. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    With the outfit and travel expense that's below minimum wage, Hard way to make a living.

10. Shirlie Lynn

Shirlie Lynn

Exp:
    Owner of Catering Business
    If you are happy with $250 that is fine but the problem is then other friends want you to do the same and then it becomes a real issues.

Sweetjudge likes this.
  11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Exactly my point.
    Not that I didn't want to give everyone a cut but I was working as a FT nurse and only did a few select events or cakes.
    When you work nites you have to make those precious sleeping hours count.
    So if the $$$ was not there I was sleep deprived (and cranky) for nada.

mimi